K-Tec

Dark impact mark in Jupiters south polar region

More
14 years 9 months ago #79777 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Dark impact mark in Jupiters south polar region
Well done Anthony! Amazing storyI I hope you all had good weather to see Jupiter.
Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #79778 by Mullins
Unfortunately weather has been terrible here in the last few days!

More
14 years 9 months ago #79783 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Dark impact mark in Jupiters south polar region
This is a great read! Well done Anthony, you sure are going to leave your 'mark' in Astronomy now! :P

"I remember the day when this Aussie guy called Anthony, who is NOT Greek, on an Astronomy forum..." :gramps:

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
14 years 9 months ago #79795 by bird
Thanks to everyone for the great comments, sorry I haven't been back in the last few days, it's gone a bit loopy over here with the media attention and all...

I posted here (as well as on CN and IIS) because I was concerned to get everyones attention and make sure the site was imaged again on the next rotation which was only about 8 hours away at the time... I've had an account on this forum for a couple of years and it's nice to see what's happening in other parts of the world.

I'm often lurking on this forum and reading posts, but don't submit very much.

At 2am Monday morning (my time) all I could think was to get the alert out to everywhere that I could, by email and by forum, and hope that it was picked up.

cheers, it's been a fun week.

Bird

More
14 years 9 months ago #79805 by Greenflashman
Replied by Greenflashman on topic Re:Dark impact mark in Jupiters south polar region
Let me add my congratulations to the many that Bird has already received from around the world. He now knows he has the full credit when the Hubble is pointed at Jupiter and the press release from NASA states "Discovered by Australian amateur astronomer Anthony Wesley"
see here for the press release
hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2009/23/text/

and here for the photos
hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2009/23/image/

You know Anthony, you actally took my mind off some disappointing news about the solar eclipse in China. When my group rang me to say they had been clouded out I answered with "Never mind that, something big just hit Jupiter"
Brian

"There is a theory that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened."

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #79809 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Dark impact mark in Jupiters south polar region
The hubble images almost make it look like someone made a gash in the side of Jupiter.
We had some good skies tonight, the seeing was pretty good aswell, I was surprised to see how obvious this thing is, at times it resembles a moon shadow.
I put the toucam on the 12" and got this image, I processed it on a laptop screen so I hope it looks ok.

farm4.static.flickr.com/3455/3754059174_fe6b06e87a_o.jpg

I expect the skynyx/DMK guys to get some super images from tonight. Funny thing is that I could see more then the camera could capture, my kingdom for a proper planetary camera.
What are the odds of this happening 15 years to they day of SL9 ?!?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by dave_lillis.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds