K-Tec

Life on Mars!

More
14 years 8 months ago #80184 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re:Life on Mars!
That looks like an Full Otter to me :D

As for the Vid. Is this guy one of the few Knights of the British Realm with an American accent? Is is real name actually Sir Walter Mitty? :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
14 years 8 months ago #80185 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re:Life on Mars!
What if I could tell you that the US government were covering up direct evidence of DNA found on Saturn's moon titan by the Huygens probe? What if I could tell you I could prove that I have seen documents which the US government would prefer no-one saw. NASA went so far as putting up a press release on their website before removing it on the orders of the government.

Now of course none of the above is true. It was totally made up by me. However, I could easily pad that whole story out into a book and video and convince a enough people to part with hard earned cash and possibly make quite a tidy sum. All I need is to throw enough loose and unsubstantiated evidence at the reader so that each piece of evidence, on its own, would not convince the reader, but the cumulitive effect would totally convince any reader who did not perform the highly non-trivial task of researching the matter. What would even make it easier for me is that stories like these are very difficult to disprove. It's like trying to disprove God. Because the story is not based on hard, verifiable facts and evidence the reader must (and will) just accept these 'facts'.

The only fact is some people who do this are nothing more than money grabbing charletans who know as well as anyone that their story is totally fabricated and untrue. The other thing that makes their job easier is that people forget one important fact. Just because something could be true, doesn't mean it is. People by nature are suspicious of authority and will readily beleive that the powers that be are lying to them. Thats human nature and makes the job of the conspiracy theorist all the more easy. Of course you can't debunk these things until you read the original work and in order to do that you need to hand over money to these guys, so again a win win situation for the scam artists. In fairness some of these people may well enen beleive the story themselves.

Best advice? Question everything. Demand to see sources. Don't just take their word for it, because in many cases these people are nothing more than chancers with not a shred of scientific accountibility or credibility for that matter. Even in the video above all the guy does is make totally unfounded statements. So where is the official court record of these so called proceedings that NASA lost? I'll tell you where, THEY DONT EXIST. DOn;t you think if such a case actually happened it would have been huge worldwide news that everyone and his dog had heard about?

Graham, I'm sure you are most welcome to discuss astronomy and space related consipiracies here just don't expect too much support for these stories!

Welcome aboard!!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
14 years 8 months ago #80186 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re:Life on Mars!
DaveGrennan wrote:

NASA has found direct evidence of DNA found on Saturn's moon titan by the Huygens probe

OMG Dave :ohmy:

I'm gonna send RTE a press release - can I quote you verbatum as above?

Dave
;)

• DaveGrennan
More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #80187 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re:Life on Mars!
dmcdona wrote:

I'm gonna send RTE a press release - can I quote you verbatum as above?

Sure, I'll tell 'em you told me ;)

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by DaveGrennan.

More
14 years 8 months ago #80196 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Life on Mars!
At the risk of been totally lambasted, I'm putting this up, I thought it was one of the funniest things i've seen on youtube, the motor noises are priceless :laugh:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
14 years 8 months ago #80199 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re:Life on Mars!
Funny. Yes, the motors sound like an old LX200 classic:P

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds