K-Tec

search lights over city centre

More
19 years 1 month ago #10101 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: search lights over city centre
Just got home, the worse for wear. And I SAW THE LIGHT(s)....!!!

They're coming from the general direction of that 'Harp' building just near O'Connell bridge...

Signing off...

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10102 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: search lights over city centre
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that a particular set of search beam lights could be programmed from the internet. I think they may have been on O'Connell St. Dublin about a year or so ago?

Basically, I think you you logged onto a web page and you had something like 15 seconds worth of light-time - you could programme the lights to sweep out your initials or similar.

Then again, my memory may be failing me...

Cool idea but not what we want...

Cheers

Dave McD

• stepryan
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
19 years 1 month ago #10103 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: search lights over city centre

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that a particular set of search beam lights could be programmed from the internet. I think they may have been on O'Connell St. Dublin about a year or so ago?

Basically, I think you you logged onto a web page and you had something like 15 seconds worth of light-time - you could programme the lights to sweep out your initials or similar.

Then again, my memory may be failing me...

Cool idea but not what we want...

Cheers

Dave McD

dave,
that was some show that was on last year for a couple of weeks and there were more than 2 of them.
stephen.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10105 by spaceboy
Replied by spaceboy on topic Re: search lights over city centre
oristown wrote

"Jeez Stephen!! Those two beams go to the Zenith in my sky here at oristown, 60km NW of city centre. I thought they were from a neighbour down the road. They both describe circles in the sky which intersect, so they are criss crossing each other. Must be zillions of watts if I can see them
Gerry M."

I think what you might be seeing instead are the two searchlights outside the new nightclub at the fairyhouse racecourse. they appear from the north northwest from my location.

spaceboy

More
19 years 1 month ago #10117 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: search lights over city centre

Hi Dave,
you are looking for this post here , so that confirms your memory is not failing you!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10122 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: search lights over city centre

I think what you might be seeing instead are the two searchlights outside the new nightclub at the fairyhouse racecourse. they appear from the north northwest from my location.

That could be right in this instance. I saw those lights one evening last September when driving down to Dublin. But to see them so clearly in Orristown is still quite a thing!
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds