• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
18 years 3 months ago #20968 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Friends of the Irish Environment
Hi,

Good to hear from you Tony. I think we owe quite a bit of thanks to you for highlighting light pollution in Ireland, yourself and Colm O'Brien were campaigning long before many of us here got involved.

I thought the article was a fairly good one, pitty about the picture mind you!

I'll try and get our legal people to check out what rights we have - I assume that because England introduced the legal concept of light as a 'statuatory nuisance' it will be necessary to do so here but maybe not.

Either way it will be down to enforcement. And the UK Dark Sky folks have concerns that since it is tricky to get a light declared a nuisance legally, that not much practical use will come from this.

I had a thought.
DARK SKIES DAY
I was wondering if you all would be interested in raising the campaign profile this year by linking into a 'Dark Skies' day or week internationally?

Great Idea. The idea was raised an an ESA conference a year or two ago but for one reason or another it never took off. I think the best place to get this idea implemented would be in the 'European Dark Sky Symposium', thats not happening until September in Portsmouth, but it should have all the affiliated dark sky campaigners from Europe in one place. FIE's media capabilities would be most welcome for this, and I'm sure the local astronomy clubs can help out.

THE NEIGHBOUR
If we could do for light pollution what we all did for litter...

True, though I've got mixed results from approaching people about lights. Mostly people are understanding, and even apologetic not realising where their light was actually shining. Other times, well, perople have been less polite!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #20978 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Friends of the Irish Environment
Tony,
first, I would re-iterate what Abert said.

Second, in addition to your public 'appearances' in the papers, would you try getting pamphletts and brochures into libraries, and even to clubs here? Albert has done so in the past, but were related to Armagh, not down here. Something that would relate directly to ourselves would be of great help. I think you would get a lot of support from IFAS clubs, and with 3 national Star Parties in any one year hosted by some of them, you could get more free publicity too.

Seanie.

P.S. Coming up in 3 weeks is the Connaught Star Party - perhaps with the short notice, you could try getting a poster or 3 over to them.

P.P.S. TAS has Cosmos in April - I think I would speak for the committee when I say that you would be more than welcome to come down in person to Tulamore, and set up a table for an exhibit, as an example.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
18 years 3 months ago #20979 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Friends of the Irish Environment

Second, in addition to your public 'appearances' in the papers, would you try getting pamphletts and brochures into libraries, and even to clubs here? Albert has done so in the past, but were related to Armagh, not down here. Something that would relate directly to ourselves would be of great help. I think you would get a lot of support from IFAS clubs, and with 3 national Star Parties in any one year hosted by some of them, you could get more free publicity too.

You got some budget you're not telling us about? :-)
The Armagh leaflets were free. Well they were paid for by the Northern Ireland Electricty board.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 3 months ago #20997 by Tony Lowes
Replied by Tony Lowes on topic Friends of the Irish Environment
Hi All -

Hummm.

I think the best place to get this idea implemented would be in the 'European Dark Sky Symposium', thats not happening until September in Portsmouth, but it should have all the affiliated dark sky campaigners from Europe in one place. FIE's media capabilities would be most welcome for this, and I'm sure the local astronomy clubs can help out.

That sounds realistic, the way things do when they are a long way off! FIE is best at the Press Releases as they are almost zero cost, except for time.

A brochure would be good - one could perhaps adapt one? Maybe someone involved does graphic design is on your lists - its makes such a difference. It sounds like there would be opportunities to use them at various events. These days you can print a a few at a time.

Funds! I'm wondering if this is a stage at which Irish Dark Skies could seek to be recognised as an ENGO. For the last three years the Department of the Environment has been providing core funding (and funds for certain intergovernmental conferences and submissions onpolicy) to the ENGO Core Funding Secretariat for distribution to the ENGOs.

You have to be national - and you have to be a limited company or have a Constitution - I don't know how much Dark Skies is or wants to be an organisation but the funds are about 3000 - 4000 per year. That's how we run FIE, and so too severfasl other small ENGOs - FIE is all volunteers, most of us working as consultants or in the law or politics as a day job - aside from contributions from the internet. It's worth having a Pay Pay account (most of the systems wont take donations, only product sales) set up and taking contributions by credit card on this site - there are people out there who want to help - we had one yesterday for 150 - turned out it was a fellow in California who worked as an environmental lawer, has Irish roots, found the site, and wanted to help...

Its probably too much and not in line with the way Dark Skies is evolving, but I thought I would mention it.

And begin to prepare for September. Is anyone going from Ireland? Will I find a notice of the event somewhere?

Tony

Tony Lowes
Allihies,
Co. Cork
087 2176316
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones".
(John Cage)

More
18 years 3 months ago #21030 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

I approached them on the subject before Christmas and they were very accommodating and all apologies about the problem

I've got this coming - a neighbour of mine has recently obtained a sodium streetlight (probably not very legal) pointed it horizontal about 10 foot up a tree!!!!!!, and every night has it pointing towards our bedroom window since early December, I hope this will be taken down by the end of this week, as I think it may be due to christmas time, but if not, i'll have to approach them by Saturday because our sleep is affected by this.

I don't know much about the nuisance law - how enforcable is it here in Ireland? This has really got my goat :evil: literally! and makes unpleasant viewing, my wife has told me that they are not very nice people :? I hope for the best.

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds