K-Tec

letter in local paper

More
20 years 1 week ago #2579 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: letter in local paper

Tullamore by-pass is to run adjacent to the field where we have our observatory (despite WIDESPREAD opposition against the by-pass).

Is this the N7 bypass near Tyrellspass? (For some reason I get N4 and N7 mixed up a lot)

In that case I think one of your newer members, whos name escapes me at the minute, was in contact with me before about it. I think the NRA had agreed to use FCO's on that project.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 week ago #2581 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: letter in local paper
Thanks Michael and Albert, I appreciate the advice!

FYI, Tyrrellspass is on the N6, which will be part of the existing M4 when the motorway in this direction is finished. It will be the M4 all the way to Kinnegad, where it will split - M6 to Galway, M4 to Mullingar. The Tullamore By-pass itself is a local road project, and has nothing to do with the motorway (Tullamore will fall short about 7 miles to the side of the actual M6 when finished.
[N7 -> Southwest (Limerick/Cork); N4/5/6 -> West (Galway/Sligo)]

Albert, personally, I thought you would reply like that! BUT I don't think you're quite correct either (sorry! :P ). You wouldn't be coming across as some Jackeen telling people what to do! You'd just be a representative of a very concerned national group with international connections regarding the massive growing problem of (environmental) light pollution!
It would be great to get that material from you Al. Maire McKay, our Chairperson, has been in contact with the council, and is also a running candidate for the Greens down here. She is our voice on the matter, but all the extra help would definitely be of benefit.

By the way Michael (I'll avoid a PM to you here) it was the Council who actually got in touch with us first! Believe it or not, they are fully aware of our observatory regarding the road project, but did ask about lighting effects - not whether we objected to the by-pass construction! C'est la vie... Anyhoo, we ourselves are surrounded by trees, but to make sure that there will be adequate cover offered by the council as well will have to be addressed.

On we go...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
20 years 1 week ago #2583 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: letter in local paper
Hi,

ok I've looked up the map now and sorted my geography out!

It would be great to get that material from you Al. Maire McKay, our Chairperson, has been in contact with the council, and is also a running candidate for the Greens down here. She is our voice on the matter, but all the extra help would definitely be of benefit.

Coincidentally, Colm O'Brien, ILPAC Chairperson is also running for the Greens in East Clare.

Mail me what details you have on the bypass and I write something. And I'll post you down the ILPAC and venustransit documents and leaflets on monday.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
20 years 1 week ago #2584 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: letter in local paper
Thanks Al,
I'll check with Maire, and let you know via PM what we've got.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3062 by ctr
Replied by ctr on topic Re: letter in local paper

Albert,

I'll let you know when/if it is printed.

Keep up the good work

Conor

Al

Letter never appeared :cry:

Pity

Conor

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds