K-Tec

FCO's really do work

More
17 years 6 months ago #33682 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: FCO's really do work
The key is the comsumers. Their focus naturally becomes the focus of the lighting industry. If consumers put form over function then so will the industry. If the demand is for very pretty fixtures and all you make are FCOs then you will go out of business which is also a pretty idiotic thing to do!

It's an open market so at the end of the day the consumer is king and that's where the problems lie.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #33683 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: FCO's really do work

The key is the comsumers. Their focus naturally becomes the focus of the lighting industry. If consumers put form over function then so will the industry. If the demand is for very pretty fixtures and all you make are FCOs then you will go out of business which is also a pretty idiotic thing to do!

It's an open market so at the end of the day the consumer is king and that's where the problems lie.

The key to the issue of lighting is probably a multiple strategy. Designers need to design better lighting. Authorities need to implement 'lighting codes' and consumers need to be educated.

Whilst a consumer may want a pretty light that turnstheir night-time garden into a floodlit extravaganza, they'll soon rething their startegy when they get their electricity bill. I understand that ESB electricity prices are increasing by more than 20% in January. I think that will encourage consumers to economise. It will certainly encourage me.

Dave

More
17 years 6 months ago #33687 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: FCO's really do work
The designers of public lighting should be informed, in no uncertain ways, that the entire Astronomical community does not look kindly on their pathetic efforts at being Engineers.

As I said, the products are amongst the most stupidly designed in the entire history of Engineering.

Don't take my word for it...look at a night photograph of any city !

Look at the stupid needless waste.

Peter . (Member IEEE...Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers).

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
17 years 6 months ago #33692 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: FCO's really do work
Lighting Engineers are improving their understanding of the issues and pressures and designing their products to match. This in turn gives more products to their customers to use on roads.

eg. Philips Switch now! ... to energy efficient street lighting

And an example of a FCO light that Philips sell.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 6 months ago #33693 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: FCO's really do work
In terms of been energy effecient myself, I've swapped most my standard bulbs to energy saving bulbs, it costs a bit but at the end of the day, they pay for themselves.
The only catch is that they dont work with dimmer switches.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 6 months ago #33695 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: FCO's really do work
Peter - how's about you send a letter to these stupid designers/engineers and tell them how pathetic theirefforts really are?

Even better, get them to sign up to the boards here (for free) and have that conversation on-line.

I bet we could sell tickets to that particular event... :wink:

Dave

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds