my tupence worth

• supergiant
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 5 months ago #35273 by supergiant
Replied by supergiant on topic re
this is the responce i got my posts mixd up, ignore the thank you all one for this forum.sory

i was making a referance to the fact,that street lites were white and showed colour as it is, things looked nicer at least ,and iam talking about those sodium orange lites that are all over the place aggekkk, you understood me correctly that cars clothes etc do not show up correctly in sodium awful orange lite, blue looks purple,???, im against lite pollution 100%

typo would stand up in court, change to wouldnt stand up in court.

Magnificent Universe

My equiptment . celestron firstscope 80EQ, 20mm and 10mm eyepieces.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #35274 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: re

i was making a referance to the fact,that street lites were white and showed colour as it is, things looked nicer at least ,and iam talking about those sodium orange lites that are all over the place aggekkk, you understood me correctly that cars clothes etc do not show up correctly in sodium awful orange lite, blue looks purple,???, im against lite pollution 100%

The yellow sodium lamps just show one wavelgth, so its impossible to determine colour.

Most white streetlights are high pressure sodium lamps which have a broader spectrum but are not white either. Nevertheless they are good enough to determine colour, and thats why they are now used in many new areas and in upgrades.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 5 months ago #35275 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: my tupence worth
Ah yes, mention of campaigns brings back memories of one down home.

The local Lough Derg action group started a campaign called Save Our Lough Derg. Car stickers, etc. were distributed widely.

Unfortunately, Dustin the Turkey started a campaign around the same time titled Stamp Out Line Dancing. Notice the similarity in the acronyms?

The bottom line was that the residents committee wrote to RTE to ask them rename Dustin's campaign as people with car stickers in our area were getting funny looks. Needless to say, RTE probably had a good guffaw over the "culchies" complaining. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some idiot in the locality now has his house ... plus everyone else's around ... brilliantly lit up. Even worse, some of his wall-mounted lights look very like car headlights coming at you when driving at night and it's confused the hell out of me a few times. Wait 'til someone crashes and then he'll have a serious problem. I may even "fall" into a ditch off my bike some night and say I was swerving to avoid what I thought was an oncoming car. Might convince the local council then to get him take down, or at least reposition, those bulbs.

• supergiant
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 5 months ago #35279 by supergiant
Replied by supergiant on topic re
lolzzzzzz car headlights, i do take your l derg issue serious,but i can imagine what those lites must b like for you ,your comments are humourous

Magnificent Universe

My equiptment . celestron firstscope 80EQ, 20mm and 10mm eyepieces.

More
17 years 5 months ago #35418 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: my tupence worth

In fact, in one study carried out by the Met Police in London.
The light actually helped the intruders break in!

the way I look at it is that "they cant steal what they cant see"..

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds