K-Tec

poolbeg

More
19 years 8 months ago #4089 by bhg
Replied by bhg on topic Re: poolbeg
had my first proper look at the lights by night tonight, last night I was just looking at the sky lighting up twice the height of the unnatural glow over dublin city.

the south tower upper and lower lights are in sync and beaming brightly 7 (crow flies) miles north east to my position in baldoyle. I know very little about measuring light but these have been seen in finglas and would have little problem been seen in swords / airport itself.

this can be a major PR problem for the ESB. they have avoided publicity to date on this, and are fielding questions one by one. There needs to be a public awareness campaign by ESB to let people know what they have had to do.

meanwhile another public campaign is needed to reverse this pollution, I would be hoping that there are acceptable workarounds to the SI's that are acceptable, fixing the existing lights is a route and proving this is acceptable as it has been for 34 years should be doable. This is not because of a new runway or flight path that the new lights are needed, but because of an upgrade necessity it allows the 2.5 year old SI's to be allowed to come into force late. Derogation’s and more suitable alternatives are need to be sought by our MEPs TDs city councillors, aviation officials & the ESB.

ESB says these lights are in Moneypoint, can anyone confirm?

If this was a lighthouse and needed in poor weather conditions I would give up now, but this is
24/7/365 and if we stand and fight and loose at least we will have tried.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago #4091 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: poolbeg
There are very bright flashing lights on the chimneys as Moneypoint. I live about 20 miles from Moneypoint as the crow flies and I can see them from my house with the unaided eye at night. At that stage they aren't bothersome, but it's a heck of a distance away to be able to see them clearly. With binos, I can see them flashing during the day also.

More
19 years 8 months ago #4097 by Flukey
Replied by Flukey on topic Re: poolbeg
Unfortunate as it is for us, safety has to take priority. It depends where you live of course and what way you most often point your telescope. Where I am we can't see the chimneys and living on the southside with a south-facing back garden, things aren't too bad for me. People are also having problems with those lights going into their houses and bedrooms. It is going to get worse for all when they put them on the other chimney. :(

Dublin can be Heaven

More
19 years 8 months ago #4098 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: poolbeg

Unfortunate as it is for us, safety has to take priority. It depends where you live of course and what way you most often point your telescope. Where I am we can't see the chimneys and living on the southside with a south-facing back garden, things aren't too bad for me. People are also having problems with those lights going into their houses and bedrooms. It is going to get worse for all when they put them on the other chimney. :(

yes, but light pollution is not only about us with telescopes. Of course the chimneys need to be safe for aircraft (nothing hit them yet with the red lights on them mind!)

Health of humans needs to be considered, members.aol.com/ctstarwchr/LiteLynx.htm#health , has an extensive list of papers regarding artificial light and its effects on humans. In the case of these lights, anything regarding flashing (epelipsy) and sleep deprivation would be applicable.

Wildlife: The lights are visble from Booterstown Marsh and I presume Bull Island, both nature reserves. I dont know what the effects of strobing lights on the birds in these areas would be.

Traffic: These lights are very bright when you are driving along the quays or the east link, and to an extent over the coast road.

In this case something needs to be done for air saftey, and that should take priority. However the current lights and directing a lot of light onto the ground which is just irresponsible. if it all went up I would nearly be happier! People should not be discussing buying new curtains to keep out light from something designed to prevent aircraft crashes.

Brian, are you by any chance planning to follow up with the aviation authority to see if there is a more appropritae saftey light than should be used on these buildings given their urban location?

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 8 months ago #4099 by bhg
Replied by bhg on topic Re: poolbeg
>Brian, are you by any chance planning to follow up with the aviation authority to see if there is a more appropritae saftey light than should be used on these buildings given their urban location?

yes, a full impact review first and then more fact finding, PR and support base of like minded and a suggestions for alternatives. then a letter to the IAA Esb, dail questions etc.

NorthsidePeople.ie are to run a piece next week on it, all help welcome
on or off line email: poolbeg AT dublin13.com

regards Brian Greene

More
19 years 8 months ago #4103 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: poolbeg
I was going to upload some pictures of this for those of you outside Dublin, however tonight the lights are off.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds