K-Tec

Industry wants ban on bulb in Europe

More
16 years 9 months ago #48672 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Industry wants ban on bulb in Europe
The way I look at it, it's a step in the right diurection,. There are far more lightbulbs in houses then there will ever be lighting up public places. Banning the ordinary bulb will make a massive difference to energy copnsumption. Furthermore, as it brings a practical application of energy reduction into everyone's homes, it will help educate everyone on the whole aspect of light pollution and energy conservation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #48678 by cloudsail
Replied by cloudsail on topic Re: Industry wants ban on bulb in Europe

]

Well at night Dublin is now like this: Taken 1st July just afer midnight. And that wasn;t even a very foggy night.

Uggggh! What's the exposure/ISO... It would be interesting to compare with similar night light pollution shots other cities of similar size.

A new Tesco warehouse,

Can you send me some info on that Warehouse. I have a letter from Tesco to Bob Mizon from 1993 where their engineering director in the UK promising that all lighting will be directed downwards. I've never got a reply from Tesco Ireland about this but the letter may be of use if you want to write to them.

Here's the google cache of the HTML of the planning (microsoft Word) document for the Tesco distribution center:
66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:4a7B9B4JuDwJ...k&cd=1&gl=us

The latest white skyglow seems to be from something else. I heard Dunnes was looking to build a similar ginormous warehouse center right next door but I haven't found any documents on this. I'll have to do some investigation. I need to keep up more with local politics. 700,000 square foot facility goes up 2km from my house and the first I know of it is when I see it.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
16 years 9 months ago #48684 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Industry wants ban on bulb in Europe

Uggggh! What's the exposure/ISO... It would be interesting to compare with similar night light pollution shots other cities of similar size.

30 sec f/5.6 100 ISO.

Pretty much what it actually looks like when your eyes get a little dark adaption.

There is a higher res version at www.flickr.com/photos/albertw/754816827/

tesco: do you have any images of that site at night?

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds