K-Tec

LIght pollution increase/decrease map in Metro

More
16 years 5 months ago #54178 by albertw
Any chance that someone can get a scan of the metro article to me in the next couple of hours?

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #54180 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: LIght pollution increase/decrease map in Metro
With the expansion of the large cities, the surrounding counties of Dublin are essentially suburbs, how long will it be before there are unbroken lines of light pollution stretching from Dublin south to Waterford, north to Dundalk and west to Athlone? The same goes for Cork and Galway and Limerick. With the rising population and the demands for cheaper housing the unlit countryside, where land is cheaper, are the obvious targets for developers.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
16 years 5 months ago #54196 by albertw
Quick thanks to the nice folks on Newstalk 106 who after seeing the metro piece had me on for a quick chat with Sean Moncrieff today!

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 5 months ago #54197 by ctr
Yes I heard than. We done :lol:

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

More
16 years 5 months ago #54203 by budz
Are you all talking about today's article? Page 12 Metro.... full page article about it with a picture too. I did see a picture in last week's metro, it seemed more up to date than today's but I thoroughly enjoyed the read today.
I'm so glad that something is being done to raise awareness of this awful problem, I am badly affected by light pollution and have even had to sell my 8inch scope as it had become un-useable to me.
I've been watching comet Holmes in my garden recently and can only fantasise what it must be like in darker skies. I have the M50 with all it's glorious light spilling in all directions 20 feet from my back door. The terrible reality for me is knowing that the motorway and it's light are not going to go away anytime soon and it'll probably take years before any kind of shielding will happen.

More
16 years 5 months ago #54209 by albertw
Hi,

I didn't know that there was anything in todays metro. Its not a paper that I get unless someone leave it at the coffee machine in work! There was an article in the uk version of the paper this week as far as I know. If somone can scan either article I'd be interested to see it.

I have the M50 with all it's glorious light spilling in all directions 20 feet from my back door. The terrible reality for me is knowing that the motorway and it's light are not going to go away anytime soon and it'll probably take years before any kind of shielding will happen.

Where abouts on the M50 are you? There may be some scope for improving the lighting there with the upgrades, some older sections of the M50 have pretty bad lighting. If you'd like to email/pm me some details about where you are I'll fire off a letter to the NRA and ask about their upgrade plans for the M50.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds