Horror Image

More
15 years 9 months ago #71129 by artyfarty
Replied by artyfarty on topic Re: Horror Image

Here's an even larger scale version of the one in Paul's first post:

perimeno.ca/pics/Night.jpg

See how bad it 'really' is in places.

Seanie.

Are you sure they are the exact same picture, I would have said that yours is a slightly older version of what Paul first shown. For example look at the UK there is a hell of a lot more light pollution in Paul's image, Europe in general looks a lot worse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #71134 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Horror Image
They are the same image just with different brightnesses. The original tiff is at visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=11793

Its from 2001 btw.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
15 years 9 months ago #71157 by artyfarty
Replied by artyfarty on topic Re: Horror Image

They are the same image just with different brightnesses. The original tiff is at visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=11793

Its from 2001 btw.

YEAH AND WHAT THE HELL WOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT IT.... oh yeah right, sorry... I'll get my coat now :oops:

:D

More
15 years 9 months ago #71176 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Horror Image
A very depressing picure for sure....sometimes I wish I was still in the dark concerning light pollution :(

Looking on the bright side, there is some awareness growing around Europe

Declan

More
15 years 9 months ago #71178 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Horror Image
What makes it interesting is that, yes, there is awareness, but I wonder if it were not for the current energy crisis of the past few years, would we see such changes.

However, seperate from that is the common sense angle - FCO street lighting to ward off stray light and so on. I have noticed on the Nass Road and along the Luas line that FCO's are being used now, as well as all along the soon-to-be-opened new N/M6 to Athlone. I think FCO is to be used on the Tullamore bypass currently under construction. And this is just in a handful of areas I know about.

When I was landing in Canada 6 weeks ago, I noticed from the air that most of the lights in Toronto were at least semi-FCO. How did I know this? I couldn't see the light itself, just the small ring of light underneath it seen on the street from above. The light pollution was small, somewhat negligible in places, even from 5,000 feet. Seeing it over Dublin at almost the same altitude whilst out in the Irish Sea (note: further away too) was depressing.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
15 years 9 months ago #71180 by seamus
Replied by seamus on topic Re: Horror Image
That picture is going to give me nightmares tonight. :(

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds