K-Tec

Light Pollution meter first light

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #85946 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Light Pollution meter first light
At the 9th European Symposium for the Protection of the Night Sky, the issue of recording the level of illumination of the night sky by scientific means was discussed. As I understand it, and Al may explain it better than I can, the purpose behind this is to provide a scientific measurement of the night sky illumination using an appropriate electronic device. Once illumination from the Sun and Moon are removed, one can begin to quantify the level of light pollution at a particular location. With many of these sensors across a wide area, once can see variations in light pollution between difference locations. Also, by running the sensor regularly, one can monitor the reduction or increase of light pollution at a particular location.

The sensor consists of a small glass panel, approx 3-4 inches square x 0.5 inches thick in an aluminium frame. This contains a number of sensors and produces a log in a .csv file to the following format:
1.Date;
2.Time;
3.Temperature;
4.°C;
5.Main sensor counts;
6.Daysensor visual counts;
7.Daysensor near infrared counts;
8.Status message, i.e. "ok" or "err".

The piece of kit cost approx 100euro.
The sensor is connected to a PC with a USB cable and let run for as long as one wishes.
From here, one can calculate Lux values etc.

Hope this explains it a little.

Michael.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by michaeloconnell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #85947 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Light Pollution meter first light
Assuming my calculations are correct and 683.002 Lux = 1 W/m2:

Now Al, how does one convert this to an equivalent limiting magnitude?

Michael.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #85949 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Light Pollution meter first light
Thanks for that Mike, it sounds like an interesting project. I just might give it a go for fun than anything else!

If there were enough of these across member's locations in Ireland, we could probably com up with a rudimentary map of light pollution intensity.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by Seanie_Morris.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
13 years 7 months ago #86020 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re:Light Pollution meter first light
Seanie_Morris wrote:
If there were enough of these across member's locations in Ireland, we could probably com up with a rudimentary map of light pollution intensity.
[/quote]
I wrote a little bit of code to get the gps position from my garmin and log that with the light pollution reading. So in theory I can now map by driving around :) The only problem is that I need to get back on the roof of the house to take the meter off and put it on the car!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
13 years 7 months ago #86022 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Light Pollution meter first light
albertw wrote:

I wrote a little bit of code to get the gps position from my garmin and log that with the light pollution reading. So in theory I can now map by driving around :) The only problem is that I need to get back on the roof of the house to take the meter off and put it on the car!

Off you go so! :)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds