K-Tec

Light Pollution Story

More
12 years 11 months ago #89392 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Light Pollution Story
Unfortunately stargazers, and those who have an interest in wildlife, will always be in a minority, crackpots, cranks, tree huggers, etc., a small voice in the wilderness, with those in power unable, or unwilling, to do anything about it, we had a Green minister for the environment in the last government, was the issue tackled? Hell no, it's more important to get more money out of motorists, and banning gas powered patio heaters.

I know that the area around where I work has seen a spate of burglaries in the past couple of weeks, a woman I work with lives in the area and I asked her did she know when they had taken place? Her neighbour's house was broken into, at midday, and those she knew about also took part during the daytime. So let's shoot down the theory that more light means more security. But she then told me that she intends to insert a large halogen light in her back garden, I asked why, and she said so that she would feel safer. When I pointed out that the houses were being broken into was during the day, it made no difference, the light will be going in.

The bottom line is if the populace believe that swamping the streets and countryside with excessive light will make them feel more secure, then the night sky can disappear, bats and birds can vanish, nocturnal animals can go extinct and they won't care.

Will any of them sleep less if the Greater Horseshoe bat dies out?

I didn't think so.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #89393 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Light Pollution Story
More street lighting can increase anti social behaviour. It shows a gross mis understanding of why kids are hanging about on a street corner causing trouble if you think a few lights are the solution.

Similarly always on alien security lighting can increase crime also. The criminal now has plenty of light to plan and carry out a crime and is much more likely not to be seen to be acting suspiciously or being identified. I'd suggest a big dog over halogen for home security and peace of mind.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #89394 by Pat_Dunne
Replied by Pat_Dunne on topic Re: Light Pollution Story
Folks, without a properly co-ordinated nation campaign to highlight this issue, the vast majority of our neighbours and especially those in in positions of influence will remain ignorant of this situation.

Is it not time we did something to bring this issue to the fore on a national basis. I am afraid that growling and venting your spleen on this forum will unfortunatley do nothing to raise this issue on the national stage.

Celestron CPC 9.25
Celestron Ultima LX 8mm, 13mm, 17mm, 22mm, 32mm.
Starlight Microfocuser
A full set of Snickers Thermals
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Pat_Dunne.

More
12 years 11 months ago #89396 by Derek Davey
Replied by Derek Davey on topic Re: Light Pollution Story

albertw wrote:
Similarly always on alien security lighting can increase crime also. The criminal now has plenty of light to plan and carry out a crime and is much more likely not to be seen to be acting suspiciously or being identified. I'd suggest a big dog over halogen for home security and peace of mind.

Id have to agree with this, theirs been a lot of homes being robbed here lately and more or less all happening in day light rather than night time, a good dog would be more affective than lights,

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds