K-Tec

Barnard's Star

More
4 years 7 months ago #107818 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Barnard's Star
That's a good picture Finbarr, I believe is shines at about magnitude 9.5? I too have never seen it visually although I have scanned over this area many times.

I agree one of the best summer clusters the summer 'beehive' is IC4665, the first true cluster I found myself many years ago with a pair of 10x50mm binoculars, I have many fond memories of looking at it over and over again.

As for V3890 Sgr, I have been observing this for years also, but never caught it exploding, I observed it when it was bright last week, but it's been cloudy ever since late last week for me, and the moon is nearly full now. I'll try for all of these again soon...

Keith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Fermidox
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
4 years 7 months ago #107819 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Barnard's Star
Hi Keith,

Yes its given mag is 9.5, although it varies slightly by around 0.2 mag. It was on my mind due to an email newsletter from Sky and Telescope and, having already observed Piazzi's Flying Star (61 Cygni), I wanted to add a real flier to the list. These two, along with Groombridge 1830 in Ursa Major, are the three stars in the N Hemisphere with the most rapid apparent motion.

I'd almost given up hope of catching V3890 Sgr and even when the clouds parted, the moon moved in. I've added the image I got fwiw but it's very washed out. Anything at that low Dec is difficult enough anyway and looking at the AAVSO results, the steep decline continues. According to the Astronomers Telegram it's more than 15,000 LY distant, over halfway to the Galactic centre.

Clear skies,
Finbarr.

More
4 years 7 months ago #107820 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Barnard's Star
At least you captured V3890 SGR, the moon is very strong at the moment anyway. AAVSO has it not at about magnitude 11.4 or so, and its already getting difficult to observe being so low and moving ever closer to the sun.

I'll try for barnards star this week !

Keith..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fermidox

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds