• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
4 years 6 months ago #107867 by flt158
6 easy doubles in Cassiopeia. was created by flt158
Hello everyone.

As you all know, my main scope is a William Optics 158 mm f/7 apochromatic refractor.
Its guidescope is another apochromatic refractor which is a William Optics 70 mm f/6 with mirror diagonals fitted to both scopes at all times.
They are attached to a Berlebach Planet altazimuth mount.

Some time ago a friend on Cloudy Nights recommended that I should do an observation of 35 Cassiopeiae.
While I was checking the position of this optical binary, I also checked out some more doubles which are close by.

As ever, I printed off a map from my Guide 9.1 DVD.

I observed another 5 doubles on the same night (Thursday 17th October) and I have included their magnitudes, separations and position angles which all come from the reputable website www.stelledoppie.it

1. 35 Cassiopeiae: Magnitudes: 6.3 & 8.6. Sep: 57.4". PA: 342 degrees. The primary is almost completely white with the slightest tint of blue at higher magnifications. Its spectral Class is A2. At 40X I had no problems seeing a good split between A and B.
But you will want to know what was the colour of the secondary I saw. So I steadily increased my magnifications from 112X to 140X, and lastly 167X. Sissy Haas records in her Double Star book for Small Telescopes that the star is rose red. I thought it is more tangerine. But my wife thinks it is a rusty colour. As yet I have not been able to discover the spectral class of 35 Cassiopeiae B. Perhaps some of you could find out for me. I will be delighted to hear from you. Please do clear up this mystery. Either way, I can safely say that 35 Cass is an absolute gem! The secondary has a most unusual hue.

2. 44' east of 35 Cass is another optical double star and I had no problem splitting Stf 121 at 40X. Magnitudes: 9.5 & 10.2. Sep: 12". PA: 268 degrees. I did find its colours quite fascinating also. A is definitely orange. B is yellow. How rare is that? Therefore to appreciate those colours even more I used the same magnifications: 112X, 140X and 167X. Despite its dimness I found it very pleasurable.

3. Stf 109 probably is a true binary. It is 47' south of 35 Cass. Magnitudes: 9.9 & 10.5. Sep: 7.3". PA: 9 degrees. 40X gave an easy split. 112X was nice too. Both stars are white.

4. Sti 200 was designated by J. Stein. (Who's he?) Anyway it is another easy split at 40X. It might be a true binary almost 1' southwest from 35 Cass. Magnitudes: 10.4 & 11.1. Separation: 11.3". PA: 152 degrees. Extremely faint at low power. More pleasing at 112X. It is very near Stf 109. Some might call the pair a double - double. Although there is quite a gap between them.

5. HJ 1085 is a splendid true binary which is about 2 degrees east of 35 Cass. The primary is yellow - orange. The secondary is white. The magnitudes are almost identical: 9.5 & 9.6. Sep: 3.9". PA: 298 degrees. I required 112X to split it. I greatly admired it at 140X and 167X.

6. 12' northwest of HJ 1086 is a one of the faintest optical doubles I have ever observed. It's that guy J. Stein again. Sti 245 was not visible at 40X. But at 112X, 140X, 167X and 225X I had no problem seeing A and B split. Both stars are white. Magnitudes: 11.2 & 11.9. Sep: 12.7". PA: 81 degrees.

There are a few more doubles near 35 Cassiopeia I plan to observe some time soon.

I must share with you one last thing I noticed.

At the start of the evening, the constellation of Cassiopeia was shaped like a true "W".
But by 11 pm local time, it had become a vertically zigzag as the set of stars climbed higher in the north eastern sky.

Please feel free to comment.

Thank you for reading.

Clear skies from Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Fermidox, scfahy, Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #107868 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic 6 easy doubles in Cassiopeia.
Great report Aubrey, here's how 35 Cas looks on the Digital Sky Survey

Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
4 years 6 months ago #107870 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic 6 easy doubles in Cassiopeia.
Hi Aubrey,

Delighted to read that you've returned to the eyepiece after feeling unwell as I really enjoy reading your observational reports. And it seems that your most recent observational reports (August and October) on Cassiopeia have been time well spent.

After doing a little bit of research this evening on the infamous 35  Cassiopeiae B for you, I have some interesting news ...

A 2013 paper published in the Journal of Double Star Observations claims that both stars are blue (I've provided a link to the paper below), which would imply that it has a spectral class of 'O' or 'B' right?

Surely, their claim that both stars are blue is incorrect. More tellingly, the paper has yet to be cited in any other peer-reviewed paper.

So, I decided to search for the contact details of one of the senior researchers to shed light on the claim that both stars are blue - pun absolutely intended. He may be able to finally put the issue of the mysterious 35 Cassiopeiae B to bed for you.

Here are the contact details: 

www.orionobservatory.org/About%20Russ.html

Best of luck and clear skies,

Darren.

Here is the link:

scholar.google.com/scholar?cluster=70143...783&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
4 years 6 months ago #107873 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic 6 easy doubles in Cassiopeia.
Hi Darren.

Do you know? I just might contact that bloke some time.

However I am waiting to hear from the serious amateur experts will say over on www.cloudynights.com over the coming days.
They often come back to me with their opinions.

By the way, I was out observing again tonight Saturday; and I observed some extremely stubborn doubles in Cassiopeia.
I will do my utmost to update you all tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
4 years 6 months ago #107874 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Hi Aubrey,

It will interesting to hear what the people on CN come back with. I suspect their comments will also describe a more red / orange colour: that blue observation can't be right!

I hope last night's session went well, and I'm looking forward to reading about it.

Clear skies,

Darren.

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
4 years 6 months ago #107885 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Hi Aubrey,

I hope you're keeping well. I think I may have found the spectral class of the companion star in 35 Cassiopeiae.

After some additional desk-based research using the VizieR database, it seems to state that the spectral class is 'MK'.

This would concur with your observational report (and Finbarr's image)

Here is the link to the webpage that contains the information I'm referring to:

vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR-5?-re...146/ppm1&recno=12911

Of course I may be wrong, so I'm open to correction.

Kindest regards,

Darren.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds