K-Tec

Sketch of Messier 38 / NGC 1912

More
4 years 5 months ago #108025 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Sketch of Messier 38 / NGC 1912
Darren, I generally concentrate on one specific target when observing. I've logged most of the low-hanging fruit at this point, so usually my plan involves an asteroid at opposition, a conjunction/occultation , or with any luck a comet. Occasionally when I'm restricted by time constraints to binoculars, I just generally star hop or engage in some Milky Way sweeping. I find the Stellarium android app very useful for identifying objects, as its magnitude limits fit in well with what is visible with my 20 x 80s.

Clear skies,
Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #108026 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Sketch of Messier 38 / NGC 1912
Very many thanks Aubrey for your kind words. Adding colour using GIMP 2.0 is great as there are many different shades to choose from, so you get pretty close to the colour you observe through the eyepiece. In saying that, a moderator on the CN sketching forum recently explained how to use different colouring pencils to add colour to an inverted image - keen to try that technique out soon. Funny, I was only thinking how much more time and effort it could take to attempt an open cluster sketch under a dark sky. Still, worth a go though! Fingers crossed we won't have to wait too long for another clear night. Kindest regards, Darren.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Until_then-Goodnight!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #108027 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Sketch of Messier 38 / NGC 1912
Many thanks Finbarr for your response. Interesting to hear how others go about observing. I'd imagine you're looking forward to the next few months with Comet C/2017 T2 increasing in magnitude. I believe it's around mag 10 at the moment. 

I must have a look at the app you mention; only last night I discovered 'Telescopius'. I can certainly see the value of using apps like these to plan an observing session. 

Thanks again, and kindest regards, 

Darren. 
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Until_then-Goodnight!.

More
4 years 4 months ago #108028 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Sketch of Messier 38 / NGC 1912
The Stellarium app does cost 2.99 but well worth it imo. Yes I'm a big comet fan ever since the days of Hale-Bopp and Hyakutake; to have those two passing by in successive years really was epic stuff and it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see a repeat for the rest of the millennium. Didn't even have a camera back then unfortunately.....

Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds