• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #109120 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Observations - 24th June 2020
That's all great to know, Darren.

I don't believe I have ever really studied the main stars which form the Northern Crown.
What I consider somewhat strange is that none of these stars vary in magnitude or are any of them double stars.
But by looking at each star one by one we can get to know their magnitudes, colours and spectral class.
I seem to remember discussing the amazing characteristics of R Coronae Borealis recently. It is a carbon star of sorts. But the main thing is that it is a star which can suddenly fade from view. And nobody knows when that can occur - not even the experts!

I gather you are still seeking out asterisms; and that's why you were checking out the other stars in the area. And that is a very good idea to pursue.

By the way, life is going slow for me right now. So what better thing to do than to dig out old astronomical diaries of yesteryear and seeing what I did observe in the past? Back in 2000, I owned a monster of a telescope - a 8.75" reflector on a very heavy equatorial mount. Michael remembers that one! On June 17 2000, I observed for the very first time Zeta Coronae and split it at 52X. It probably was the only time I did have a look at it. To see it again in 2020 is like seeing it for the very first time though. On that night in 2000 I checked out Arcturus, Izar A & B, Mizar + Alcor (saw 4 stars at 38X).and Rasalgethi which I split at 52X and 117X.
As the old song goes: Memories are made of this! Ha Ha!

Also I should say there is little hope of clear skies over the coming week - I am terribly sorry to say.
So maybe we can still do some reminiscing of the past. LOL!
But maybe we could have one clear night of the coming week at some stage.

Best regards from Aubrey.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by flt158.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 10 months ago #109122 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Observations - 24th June 2020
Hi Aubrey,

I hope all is well.

It amazing to think you can refer back to diaries that are almost 20 years old. It must feel like you're reliving those moments again when you read through them. Your advice of starting an observational log that first night we met was a great idea, and your most recent post shows the value of keeping them. I wonder what percentage of other observers keep logs? 

When scanning the night sky Asterisms, or a pretty arrangement of stars have a way of stopping me in my tracks - they always nice surprises!

And while we're on Dean Martin lines - here's one "When the Moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's Amore." Unfortunately, there won't be much love in the air if it's cloudy tomorrow, because I'll have to rely on a very rough sketch I did of the Moon at the start of the month for Lunar sketch number six! 

Arrivederci!

Darren.

The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Fermidox

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 10 months ago #109123 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Observations - 24th June 2020
Hi Darren and everyone.

I do have some even earlier astronomical diaries up in the attic. They start back in 1987. I am somewhat sorry I didn't start in 1978. That was the first full year I started observing the heavens. I only remember observing the Moon and Epsilon Lyrae during that year. The planets Mars and Jupiter came later.

Please keep those lunar sketches coming at us Darren.
They are very good.

By the way, I'm not a fan of Dean Martin. Recently I watched one of his James Bond style movies, and they are truly dreadful!

Give me Ludwig van Beethoven any time. During my breakfasts at the moment I'm listening to all the CD's I have of the great man's music. He was born in 1770 which is 250 years ago.

It's a great pity we don't appear to have any clear nights arriving anytime soon. Do we have to wait a full 2 weeks like last time?

Best regards from Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fermidox, Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 10 months ago #109125 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Observations - 24th June 2020
Hi Aubrey,

It is amazing to think you have observational reports that go back into the 1980s. When Michael visited a couple of weeks ago to drop off the 2"inch focuser he explained how the skies were much darker around Dundrum then - I wonder was the sky darker from your back garden then?

In terms of the my next lunar sketch, I'll be uploading that later this evening. I have to settle for the one I did 01/06/2020 because I never got the opportunity to sketch the Moon for the rest of June. it is not great, but I am keen to post image each month!

Like you, my wife adores Beethoven. As for me I've quite an eclectic mix of tastes when it comes to music. 

Clear skies,

Darren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds