K-Tec

Perseids 12th ands13th August 2021

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #110526 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Perseids 12th ands13th August 2021 was created by Until_then-Goodnight!
Hello everyone,

Weren't we lucky? No Moon and the two clear nights for the Perseids. The first night we made our way to the SugarLoaf Co. Wicklow.

Aubrey, Michael, Paul, Valerie and I had a wonderful night. For example, I managed to see 15 meteors, but some of these were sporadic. Here is a list of times and positions they were moving towards:

22:07 Ursa Minor
22:14 Capricorn
22:21 Cassiopeia
23:06 Bootes
23:08 Ursa Minor
00:23 Cassiopeia
00:35 Cassiopeia
00:34 Andromeda
00:35 Ursa Major
00:42 Auriga
00:47 Andromeda
00:49 Perseus
00:54 Andromeda
00:56 Cassiopeia

During the display I also observed Saturn and Jupiter. Detail was observed on both planets. For example, the NEB was identified at 139X. And the Cassini Division was seen at this magnification too. We also managed to observe several Moons around each Planet.

I did try to go after NGC7006, but again no joy! So instead Paul showed me where M15 is located - what a nice globular cluster - thanks Paul! Many stars were resolved in my f/5 250mm Newtonian Reflector on a Dobsonain Base. Again 139X was a nice magnification to view this glob.

While Paul showed me M15, Aubrey showed me some beautiful star clusters, and one very faint double through his amazing refractor - what an instruments that 158mm is!

The following night Michael Paul and I made our way to Trooperstown Car Park. When we arrived John was already there getting his camera ready for the night ahead. We were also joined by a French family who had set-up their camper van for the night. 

It was my first time to observe from Trooperstown, but it won't be my last. It is a brilliant spot - so dark! For example, M31 and the double cluster were seen with the naked eye. 

And it was for this reason that I spent the first part of the night observing some Galaxies. First - up was M51. This was my first time to observe it. Not only could I see the the 'Whirlpool', but NGC 5194 was easily seen at 139X. Better yet, some dark lanes were observed too. What a start! Up next was M81 and M82. Again, the dark sky of Trooperstown allowed me see details like never before. This was especially true for M31. I used my 2" 30mm eyepiece, and my 1.25" 25mm plossl. All I can say is Wow! I have always been underwhelmed by the Andromeda Galaxy, but last night / this morning it looked incredible. The core was so, so bright, and the dust lane was clear to see. 

But the best was yet to come. Firstly, at 01:02 Michael, Paul and I observed the shadow transit of Io at 250X. This was my first time to observe a shadow transit. Seeing the Moon cast a shadow on Jupiter was special. At this point I deiced to settle into my chair and watch the main show: The Perseids. We saw several bright meteors fly through the sky. I attempted to sketch some of these, but at times all I did was sit back and enjoy the show. While it is far from perfect, it is a nice record to have. 

Taken together, I'll always remember those two nights. And they'll certainly make it to my top observations for 2021.

Many thanks for reading, and as always comments and feedback is very much welcomed.

Clear skies to all.

Darren.

Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Until_then-Goodnight!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158, Paul-Byrne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #110531 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Perseids 12th ands13th August 2021
Sensational report, Darren. 

As far as I am concerned you are the New Meteor Man of Ireland!!

Utterly superb report from you as always. 

Clear skies from Aubrey. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 years 8 months ago #110537 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Perseids 12th ands13th August 2021
Hahaha!

Nice moniker Aubrey, but I'm sure there'll be a lot better reports, images, and sketches coming through over the next few days. And on that, I'm off to view Paul's image... I'm sure it will be great! 

Clear skies, 

Darren. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds