More doubles in Aries + 1 carbon star 11 & 12 January 2022

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 years 3 months ago #110957 by flt158
Hello everyone again. 

I neglected to say I had 2 more observing sessions in Aries on Monday evening 17th January and Wednesday 19th. So let me put that right. 

1. Has anyone split the relatively well-known double star 1 Arietis? It's otherwise called STF 174. Why not check your diaries? Magnitudes: A = 6.3. B = 7.2. Sep = 2.9". PA = 164 degrees. My scope splits it beautifully at 112x. It also looks marvellous at 140x and 167x. The colours are interesting. A is yellow. B is sea blue. The secondary directly points downwards to the southern horizon with my refractor. Of course Dobsonians will have it pointing upwards.    

2. I had observed STF 266 a number of nights earlier. But I returned to it because it is a triple star. The 2nd and 3rd components are an uncertain double. Magnitudes: B = 10.4. C = 11.1. Sep = 1.9". PA = 192 degrees. At 280x I used averted vision to see the C star. However at 320x I could see it directly. It has been many years since I saw all 3 stars with a previous telescope. 

3. I also went back to Epsilon Arietis and I am very pleased to say it was splitting at 167x on this Wednesday night. The 2 stars were touching at 140x. 

Now when are we going to have some clear skies again?

Very best regards from Aubrey.      
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fermidox, Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #110958 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic More doubles in Aries + 1 carbon star 11 & 12 January 2022
Hi Aubrey, 

Many thanks for sharing those additional observations. I've never observed 1 Arietis, but your description has encouraged me to have a look at it. There are more blue and yellow double stars than I thought...what makes Albireo the blue and yellow 'go to' double for out reach though? I'd love to hear what others have to say about it too? 

Anyway I'm off to bed... In fact, it's where I've been all weekend... It seems like that heavy cold was the flu! 

Clear skies, 
Darren. 

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Until_then-Goodnight!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds