K-Tec

Observations 13th August 2022

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #111432 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Observations 13th August 2022
Hi Darren and Aubrey

Don't forget to have a look for Saturn's moons. Titan is pretty easy, and I've spotted Rhea twice in recent days, even though the seeing has been too poor to spot any others. But on a good night, both your scopes will be more than capable.

skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/plugins/o...rn_moons/saturn.html

The companion star in Eta Cas always looks brown to me

Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by stevie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
1 year 8 months ago #111433 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Observations 13th August 2022
Hi Stevie,

Great to hear from you, and very many thanks for bringing that useful application to my notice - I'll be using it going forward. I think Aubrey mentioned he sees the companion as 'Almond Brown', or did he say Sissy Haas describes it 'Almond Brown' - I'm sure he'll let us know later on though. As you can probably guess I'm not too great with colours : ).

Clear skies to you,

Darren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #111434 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Observations 13th August 2022
Hello Darren and Stevie. 

It's always welcome to hear from our fellow amateur astronomers from Northern Ireland, .
Regarding Saturn, Stevie, I can only observe the ringed planet from the Sugarloaf car park. It's too low from my back garden. And I did see Titan, Rhea and Iapetus recently from the Sugarloaf car park. But I was disappointed somewhat by not been able to see Tethys and Dione. Just once did I observe Enceladus from the same location some years ago.. 

Hello Darren. 
Dark orange is a very good colour description for Achird B with your 10" Dobsonian. 
Sissy Haas must have used a very good refractor to see this companion as an almond brown star. I'm in full agreement with her. Yellow primary and almond brown secondary is what I see all the time with my William Optics 158mm apochromatic refractor from 112x and higher magnifications. Simbad gives the spectral class of Achird B as K7V. And all K7 stars are almond brown to my eyes even if the star is standing alone. I have recorded a number of these stars here on www.irishastronomy.org

Dublin skies are supposed to clear after 7pm today. 
That's according to the 3 websites I regularly use. 

Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by flt158.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

More
1 year 8 months ago #111435 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Observations 13th August 2022
I can see Saturn from my back garden, but, since I live in North Belfast, and Saturn is in the south, I'm viewing it right through the city lights. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to see Rhea at all.
Also, I think the seeing, certainly up here, has been pretty poor for the last couple of weeks, which doesn't help matters. A few people have been remarking on how disappointing Saturn is at present. I was out the back last Thursday, and noticed Capella was suffering from Sirius syndrome, ie glittering and flashing like a disco ball. But not to worry, it will soon be Autumn, so hopefully things will improve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
1 year 8 months ago #111445 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Observations 13th August 2022
Hi Aubrey and Stevie,

Many thanks for the messages. It it is great to see the nights getting a bit longer as of late. Here's to good few dark months :)

Clear skies,

Darren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds