• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 months 1 week ago #111983 by flt158
Observations - 16/08/23 was created by flt158
Hello, one and all.

We had a beautiful clear night recently over Dublin.
There was no wind and minimal amount of dew. 
Without much further ado, I set up my Williams Optics 158mm f/7 apochromatic refractor in my back garden. 
The air temperature was a warm 14˚ Celsius. 
Sunset had occurred at 19.51UT, and began my observing session at precisely 20.30UT. That’s 9.30 Irish local time. 

Each of these double stars I have observed before. Their figures can be checked out on www.stelldoppie.it

It’s always a good idea to seek out Schedar (Alpha Cassiopeiae) and Achird (Eta Cassiopeiae) first. 

The following 3 doubles are placed due north of the former. 

1. The sky conditions must have been particularly good on this night, because I was capable of separating the true binary ES 3 at 40x. Last year I required 112x. Its magnitudes are: A = 8.7. B = 9.5. Sep = 8.2”. PA = 158˚. ES 3 is about 1˚ north of Schedar. Both stars of ES 3 appeared white to yours truly. 

2. STF 38 is a true binary. Magnitudes: A = 8.7. B = 9.0. Sep = 17.1”. PA = 144˚. Clean and easy separation at 40x of course. Both stars are white. 

3. Very close by is BU 1096. It’s an uncertain double. Magnitudes: A = 8.8. B = 9.7. Sep = 35.5”. PA = 241˚. It sure is nice to fit and split these 2 doubles into the same 2˚ fov at 40x. The colours of BU 1096 are orange and white. Easy peasy separation. 

4. STI 1385 is an optical double. Magnitudes: A = 10.9. B = 11.0. Sep = 4.7”. PA = 341˚. In times past I have needed 225x to get a split with this double. But (!) on this night I had a delightful narrow black gap at a mere 112x. This brought great satisfaction to my inner being for sure. 

5. Now was the time to check out a seriously faint carbon star, because there was no Moon. I have had a real labour of love trying to observe a carbon star that is 6 arc minutes (‘) east of STI 1385. This carbon star has the designations V382 Cassiopeiae or Case 522.  It is part of a near-perfect equilateral triangle with TYC 3662 2558 (mag: 11.0) and TYC 3662 2542 (mag: 11.5). The latter star and a 12.7 magnitude “point” to V382 Cas. I got him! I’m estimating its magnitude at +12.9 as it’s fainter than the aforementioned 12.7 star. I tried to observe V382 Cas nearly 12 months ago but failed miserably. I would like to thank everybody here on www.irishastronomy.org for encouraging me to find this carbon star – especially Darren, Finbarr and Michael. I could just about make out its orange colour with my Nagler 5mm eyepiece that gives 225x. (I didn’t go higher).   

A friendly neighbour of mine asked if I was the only Irish person to have observed this star. I replied: “I never thought of that, and I probably am”.  

That's it. Thank you for reading my report. 

Clear skies to everyone, 

Aubrey.   
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fermidox, mariosi, Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #111984 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Observations - 16/08/23
That's a faint one Aubrey! I think it's reasonably safe to assume you may well be alone in this country in being an observer of that particular carbon star. You are up to well over 100 now in terms of carbon stars observed, if I remember correctly. Here's a chart of Cassiopeia showing the  location of Case 522 within the W.

[img

Clear skies,
Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 months 1 week ago #111985 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Observations - 16/08/23
Hello Finbarr. 
You remain one of my great encouragers here on www,irishastronomy.org 
Thank you! 
You have the correct location too. 
Yes. It's straight up from Schedar alright - as I said in my report. 

I should have said that V382 Cassiopeiae is the 24th carbon star I have observed in the great W. 
I have now observed 114 overall. 

Clear skies to you from Aubrey.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Fermidox, Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 months 2 days ago - 8 months 2 days ago #112000 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Observations - 16/08/23
Hi Aubrey,

Apologies for not commenting before now...ive had a very busy and tiring two weeks.

A BIG congratulations on observing V382 Cassiopeiae! And with splitting those other doubles with lower powers the conditions must have been great.

Clear skies,

Darren.
Last edit: 8 months 2 days ago by Until_then-Goodnight!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds