K-Tec

About those blue flashes in the sky.

More
19 years 6 days ago #11612 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: About those blue flashes in the sky.
Iridum satellites that are not re boosted would look like this as they tumble out of control in there orbits. There are a large number like this up there and the info is explained on the CALSKY website. Your correct Seanie i meant sudden. The flare was of a large intensity like a camera flash as you said then faded dramatically then flared again after some time. It moved VERY slowly and we watched it disappear in the east. I still think its an irdium satellite myself or turning space debris reflecting sunlight. Conor and i seen a similar object earlier on the same night only rotating faster. perhaps the heavens above website could shed some light on this? though of course not all irdium flares are known! if they are left to decay in there orbits.

Interesting night Seanie indeed. I seen a fireball at 00.13 UT and another member from the EAAS seen a fantasitc fireball in the evening twilight which left a smoke trail....theres lots of action up there! it really is a great hobby! :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 5 days ago #11636 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: About those blue flashes in the sky.

Interesting night Seanie indeed. I seen a fireball at 00.13 UT and another member from the EAAS seen a fantasitc fireball in the evening twilight which left a smoke trail....theres lots of action up there! it really is a great hobby! :D

Hence why Astronomy is top of the list for the in-science subject for geeks and interested people!

:D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 4 days ago #11650 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: About those blue flashes in the sky.
Those descriptions have finally nailed it for me.
The next task is to get a photograph of it, with all the canons out there, it shouldn't be that hard.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 4 days ago #11654 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: About those blue flashes in the sky.
Your spot on Dave. It shouldnt be a problem to image. I could have caught it with my ordinary digital camera if i had of remmembered to take it with me...typical

I will be looking out for future events like this and will keep my camera handy :D

Keep your eyes peeled guys...

Clear Skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds