K-Tec

Any clues to this?

More
18 years 9 months ago #13620 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Any clues to this?

Image start time: 22:43 UT
Image end time: 22:51 UT

Dave,
Firstly, ice image!
Secondly, considering the time you took this, and considering the area that the image of M51 would cover, I would rule out satellites. Their lines should be bolder, as there would still have been "daylight" for them to have made a much stronger impression. But this is just my own theory. Do you think it could be gremlins in your camera?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13623 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: Any clues to this?

Folks - I just went through the images again and I now have a strong suspicion these are artefacts, probably in the CCD. The two points show up in the same location in each image - the DSI software confused me because it stacks 'on the fly' so the artefacts trail. But when you blink them, they are in exactly the same spot in each image. I checked my dark frames but I don’t see any hotspots. I also checked some other images I took tonight but they're hardly comparable anyhow.

I think I'll put this one down to experience... :oops:

Best excitement I've had in ages since the Toffees got into Europe though :wink:

Dave McD

dave,
if you look at the zoomed in image of the 3 lines above i think that you might be right. unless my eyes are fooling me if you look closely at the right most and brigthest object there is a faint spot that appears to be rotating around the main object i think. if the software is doing self stacking it could be that they are rotating with the field of rotation. in the image, as for the toffees, getting excited once in a hundred years i'd have thought you'd be used to that now ;).
stephen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds