A rise in Perseid meteor activity...

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 9 months ago #14189 by Seanie_Morris
A rise in Perseid meteor activity... was created by Seanie_Morris
Last night (July 26th) I went out observing for about an hour from 23:30hrs before the Moon was due to rise. Took the ETX-70 out into the fields so that the motors wouldn't disturb my neighbours - damn those motors are loud for such a small machine!! :x

Anyway, I also spent about 10 to 12 minutes looking in the vicinity of Perseus to Cygnus for meteors (by naked eye, of course). The Perseid radiant is currently further from the Double Cluster/Cassiopeia+Perseus border towards Andromeda. There were a number of meteors in this space of time, and at one stage there were 5 in one minute. I definitely saw 11 meteors in those 10/12 minutes. I take it the stream is so diffuse, or even we are encountering an older stream, that gave rise to extra activity last night. If its clear tonight, I think I'll go outside and have another look (the Moon will be rising later) and see if activity is still up.

Anyway, its looking good (activity-wise) for this years maximum on the 12th. Lets hope the weather plays its part!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds