K-Tec

Strange observation

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 3 months ago #20992 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Strange observation

Steve - I saw them over in Monasterevin at Michael O'Connell's gaff I couldn't give a time but they were really bright - maybe 2 degrees apart and at first, I thought satellites. But if they were moving, I couldn't tell. They were really bright - brighter than Mars. 30 seconds after I first spotted them, they faded. The one closer to Taurus (ie the eastward one) seemed to fade quicker than the other.

I'd guess they were satellites - perhaps heavens-above would help?

Cheers

Dave McD

I'm glad it's not just me - at least I'm not going mad :D I'm confident about the time cos The Simpsons was just over and I went out for a smoke. When the disappeared I came straight to the computer to check Starry Night and posted here while waiting for the map to print. The only thing on Heavens Above at that time is the ISS and it definitely wasn't that.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #21011 by donkearns
Replied by donkearns on topic Re: Strange observation
Is it possible that what you saw was the recent ESA deployment of the new GPS satellite? Perhaps it was in a low earth orbit and when they apparently disappeared, they had just moved into Earth's shadow?

I really must think of something interesting to use as a tag line!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds