My Jan Observing Highlights!

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 3 months ago #23034 by martinastro
My Jan Observing Highlights! was created by martinastro
Its that time again. It is very evident from the list below that there was little observing done this month thanks to either clouds or murky conditions. Infact we had only 10 clear nights here this month which is very poor indeed and in stark contrast to Jan last year were i was hoping for a cloudy night so i could get some rest!. Here are my highlights....

* Several visual observations of the ISS

* 4X 22* Moon Haloes....two of which were amazing!

* One 22* Moondog (Paraselena)

* One Moon Pillar

* One stunning 22* Sun Halo

* 3X 22* Sundogs

* One section of Parhelic Circle through the Sun.

* One Solar Upper Tanget Arc

* A selection of visual and photographic observations of the Belt Of Venus.

* Two group observing sessions, 1 with Mark Stronge, the other with Conor, Noal, James and Dan

* Being voted IFAS astronomer of the year which resulted in an article and image in the Mild Ulster Mail Newspaper!

* Swept up NGC7217 while comet hunting in Pegasus. This galaxy evaded dection for over 5 years and has now joined my ever growing catalogue of treasures found while sweeping the sky.

* Spent 6 hours 59 mins comet hunting bringing the total count to 881 hours 39 mins were i have picked up 3023 Telescopic Satellites and 268 Telescopic meteors.

So the sky has been very quiet in Jan with no aurorae, high meteor counts or fireballs but feb is a new month so who knows what will appear. I am looking forward to comets C/2006 A1 Pojamski and 73/P which should be interesting objects and i cannot wait for those mild summer nights observing Noctilucent Clouds!!

Clear skies

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #23035 by Paul Tipper
Replied by Paul Tipper on topic Re: My Jan Observing Highlights!
Congratulations on your IFAS Astronomer of the Year gong, Martin - richly deserved! :)

Paul Tipper,
South Dublin Astro. Soc.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 3 months ago #23037 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: My Jan Observing Highlights!
Thankyou very Paul :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 3 months ago #23043 by Eirikg
Replied by Eirikg on topic Re: My Jan Observing Highlights!
Thats still muuuch more then me :D Only been out 2 days in january!

day 1. Observing m42, saturn, some more m42, mars, saturn hehe ;) You can tell im a noob

day2. Andromeda galaxy, saturn, m42, mars, m45, + more clusters i cant remeber, i should start logging like you Martin

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 3 months ago #23046 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: My Jan Observing Highlights!
Great work again Martin. You got 10 clear nights?? Pure luxury!!! I'd take 5 per month happily!!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 3 months ago #23048 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: My Jan Observing Highlights!
So everyone else has been plagued by clouds as well?..thought it was us the north.

Martin Mc Kenna

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds