K-Tec

Tonights observing & images

More
18 years 2 months ago #24180 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Tonights observing & images
Thats a great session you had last night. I think your images are excellent and i especially like the one with you and the Tal 1...nice one! :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Conor
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 2 months ago #24241 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Tonights observing & images
Great report Martin. Well im just in and got these few images. I tracked down alot of Messiars with the good olf faithful binos and used C1 for abit aswell. Lovely sky. Oh and earlier about 6pm i seen a very bright bit of space debris falling and burning up. Was about mag -2

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

More
18 years 2 months ago #24255 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Tonights observing & images
Looks like you had another great session with the binos and Tal1. I think the last image is fantastic!!! Had a very late one last night myself.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 2 months ago #24257 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Tonights observing & images

I stood for a cold, still 30secs lol I went for that part of the sky because of m45 and mars

One thing you might like to experiment with for those type of shots is using the flash, or even just a torch.

Basically set the flash to go off at the start of the exposure when you are posing, and then when there is no light on you can relax or even walk away and let the exposure continue for the starlight.

You do need to be careful is there is any ambient light from streets and houses if you walk out of shot as that can cause you to show up as a ghostlike image wandering about. Cameras remember bright things not dark things. Though you can work that into an artistic shot as well if you like.

The result gives you a well lit and defined picture of yourself and strong stars in the background. This does take a bit of work though. In the image you posted you are a little out of focus (and so is the scope so its not just you shivering!). You need to experiment to find the best combination of composition and depth of field so that you are in focus as well as the stars.

Oh and doing this really ruins your dark adaption, so dont try it in the moddle of an observing session! :-)

Cheers,
~Albert

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 2 months ago #24258 by Perseus
Replied by Perseus on topic Re: Tonights observing & images
Hi Conor,

Just clicked on the weather link you give at the bottom of your posts. Love the section on Satilite images. I'll add them to my Favorites...... Er.... might even learn to read them some day :lol:

Damon

• Conor
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 2 months ago #24274 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Tonights observing & images
Thanks albert for the advice!
Im glad it helped you :D

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds