K-Tec

Jupiter

More
17 years 11 months ago #27470 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Jupiter
Well done John. Perseverence is the key! You could get a better sight of Jupiter if you are able to get to a clearer unlight polluted sight, on a nice clear night. I've been easily able to get the 2 equatorial belts and Moons in the Revelation 12 inch. The C11 should also be able to get them Marty.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago #27474 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Jupiter
Hi all

Have been looking at jupiter the last week or so from outside the front of the house. the moons I found visible in a pair of 10X50's. As soon as it rises any bit out of the murk the two belts seem to pop into view easily on an 8", and this is with street lights outside the end of the garden On occassion I have had a hint of more detail / darkening, particiularly near the poles. Ihave not tried yet this year but last year belts were easily visible in the 70mm skylux refractor.

Cheers
Trevor

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
17 years 11 months ago #27478 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
We had about 50 people stop by in Sandymount last night for our Sun Moon and Stars evening in aid of Chernobyl Childrens Project.It was cold and windy but that was a million times better than the rain.

People were delighted to see our own Moon, Saturn and two of its Moons visible and the wonderful Jupiter and four of its lovely Moons aligned perfectly. Its a very nice experience to share these solar system gems with people out for a walk.

We will be there again tonight Saturday, and are hoping the weather gives us a little window. :D

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society
www.irishastrosoc.org

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 11 months ago #27498 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Jupiter
Deirdre,
Sorry I couldn't get there last night - daughter's confirmation party. The minute everyone left I had the scope out the back to catch some moon pictures, and later took it out on the front pavement right under a street light to catch Jupiter (not ideal conditions, but you make do). The bands were clearly visible, and as you said the 4 moons in perfect alignment make a memorable sight.

Hope to make it down to Sandymount this evening, though the weather doesn't look too promising at the moment.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

• DeirdreKelleghan
More
17 years 11 months ago #27503 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
Thanks John, looking good here in Bray at the moment, but then this is Ireland :mrgreen: and there is just no telling what we may have. I will be there at 8:40pm.

Deirdre Kelleghan

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds