K-Tec

Anyone else see that odd-coloured Moon Thurs night 12th?

More
17 years 11 months ago #27751 by Macros42
I saw it later on too - still orange. Could it be Saharan sand in the atmosphere - this is a very active time in the Sahara iirc.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago #27752 by albertw

Must have a look for that Paul, it almost sounds like contradiction, as its only a 28 day cycle!

Different cycle Seanie :-)

I think its the Metonic cycle that causes the shift Paul mentioned.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• 11" Astrophotograph
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 11 months ago #27753 by 11" Astrophotograph
Replied by 11" Astrophotograph on topic Moon
I also seen that moon last night..it was very orange indeed..I almost went to get the orange juicer :lol:

MR

More
17 years 11 months ago #27756 by dave_lillis
Its had a strange colour for the last few night form here, I put it down to all the fog and whatever else is in the air.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 11 months ago #27765 by Eugene Burke
Hi Guys ,
Not wanting to sound precocious ,but I was waiting for this phenomenon to appear :!:
Now you may ask youselves what extraordinary qualities does he posess(but reading about bandwith restrictions,I wont put the system under pressure) :wink:
You see VERY early one morning this week I was checking the SKY News weather and they mentioned and then showed a very light and faint haze covering the lower half of the North Sea,and exlpained that it was air pollution from Europe,heading our way.
I watched subsequent broadcasts over the next day or so and it wasnt mentioned again,but the faint haze was approaching.
The reason I took particular note of this was that I wanted to see if there was a noticable lunar colour change and also it reminded me of a weeks holiday I had on Autumn along time ago which was spent totally outdoors soaking up some of the 15 metric tonnes of radioactive CO2 that escaped from an English Nuclear power station,(Hinkley Point)which they only admitted to AFTER Chernobyl happened.
My father used say the east wind brings nothing but badness.
Hope you all are well,will be back in fold as now am getting broadband.
Seanie ,sorry to have missed Cosmos but was out of action for a while,
Regards
Eugene :D

More
17 years 11 months ago #27769 by albertw
Picked this up from Bruce McCurdy, Royal Astronomical Society of Canada

Tomorrow, March 22 at 1655 UT, the Moon will reach its furthest south declination of its 18.6 year cycle, at -28 degrees, 43' 23" (geocentric coordinates). Such events always occur near the equinoxes, because the wobbling tilt of the lunar orbit to the ecliptic (5 deg. 9' ± 8') is greatest when the line of nodes is directed toward the Sun. The maximum declinations therefore always occur at first or third quarter. Tomorrow the low, low Moon (for us in the north) reaches third quarter at 1910 UT, a couple hours after the minimum declination. Thus it will be very close to transiting the meridian around sunrise; worth a quick glance if you're up, just remember to look lower than you might expect. Here in Edmonton (+53.5 N.), Luna will crest a mere 7 degrees or so above the southern horizon as the Sun is rising around 06:30.

That the lunar nodes are currently both near the equinoxes and directed towards the Sun can be confirmed by the fact that eclipses are occurring this month, penumbral lunar on March 14 and total solar on March 29 bracketing the extreme declination. In my failed attempt to see the penumbral eclipse last week, I did note that the theoretically-eclipsed Moon had risen virtually due east, very close to the celestial equator. Next week's solar eclipse will similarly occur very close to the celestial equator, although those in unfamiliar territory to see the eclipse might not have a good feel for where the celestial equator should be in the daytime sky.

It follows that the first quarter Moon in April will be extremely far north, although not quite at the max. Greatest northern declination will not occur for another six months, on September 15, when the waning Harvest Moon is also at third quarter, this time midway between a partial lunar and annular solar eclipse.

Bruce

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds