K-Tec

transit of io

More
17 years 11 months ago #29089 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: transit of io
Hi,
With a 6" scope you should be able to see a tiny black dot on the disk of Jupiter, this is the shadow the moon casts on the planet, a solar eclipse as seen from jupiter.
As for the moon itself, its low contrast as seen against the bright disk of jupiter makes for a more challenging object, if you know where to look and what to look for I suspect you should be able to pick it out.

According to starrynight, there are no other transits visible over the next few days, but the GRS is visible tonight, so look out for it and RS junior!

Best times for the GRS over the next week are as follows,
June 2nd 1.31am
june 4th 3.10am 11.00pm
june7th 00.40am

Europa is occulted by Jupiter on June 5th at approx 22.10 and re-emerges from jupiters shadow at approx 02.17 on the 6th.
These are some events to look out for if you happen to be out under the sky.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 11 months ago #29091 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: transit of io

Hi,
With a 6" scope you should be able to see a tiny black dot on the disk of Jupiter, this is the shadow the moon casts on the planet, a solar eclipse as seen from jupiter.
As for the moon itself, its low contrast as seen against the bright disk of jupiter makes for a more challenging object, if you know where to look and what to look for I suspect you should be able to pick it out.

Just to follow up on what dave said. I have an 8" F5 dob and the shadow was no problem. I suspect it would also be easy with a 6". As for Io, I could easily see it for about the first ten minutes as it slid onto Jupiters disc, After that I lost it, I did not try and recover it as the shadow was much more striking. I suspect that I would not have been able to see it after the first ten minutes even if I tried.

Cheers
Trevor

More
17 years 11 months ago #29110 by Pioneer
Replied by Pioneer on topic Re: transit of io
Thanks very much. I'll give it a try. I think the reason I havent seen a transit yet is due to bad timing. I was observing Jupiter last night and I saw Io just on the very edge of Jupiter. It never occured to me that a transit was in the process of occuring.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds