K-Tec

M11 - The Wild Duck Cluster in Scutum

More
17 years 7 months ago #32993 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
That's a lovely Sketch Deirdre ! M11 is my favourite star cluster, it's a superb view. Here's a shot I got of it from Kingscourt, only 16 miles away ! Shot this summer, and - i know what you mean about the cows - weird listening to them when i'm off imaging :P
Keith..

s56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/Keithg1_...amp;imgAnch=imgAnch2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
17 years 7 months ago #33008 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
Thanks every one for your positive comments, Keith you nearly always have a photo to compare with my sketches. In your image there are a lot more stars resolved; in mine nebulous rendering is sort of representing those unresolved stars.

I could not separate the vast majority of them with my eyes, just an overwhelming amount of stars in this gorgeous cluster. Love to have a go at it in better conditions another time.

Tips : Go to an art shop and get good pencils, like Conte, or Staedtler Sketching pencils box of 12 from 8B – 2H . Good paper if you can get some like Rite in the Rain
www.riteintherain.com/ I am using an all – weather sketch book No 186 at the moment. I started using Winsor & Newton cartridge paper so just start anyway with what you can get.

You need a red light so you do not loose your dark adapt, and you need to observe long and hard before you start to draw. I use a 70mm circle, and invert the sketch in Photoshop after, I try to make points to keep the stars round not irregular, I am getting better at that.

I try to put the larger magnitude stars in first and then try and build up with the fainter stars, I am still progressing with this and have not got it right yet. I hope to use star colour eventually but this takes more time and in Ireland you are lucky if you get a clear night and even luckier if the night is steady and even luckier if you are in a dark place at the right time.

There was a strong wall between me and the cows, but it is spooky sitting alone in the dark listening to them mooching away.!

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society
www.irishastrosoc.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds