Lunar observations

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 6 months ago #34891 by lunartic_old
Lunar observations was created by lunartic_old
I took out the 20cm SCT for some lunar observing last evening and just thought I'd share some of my observations with you. The moon is a waxing gibbous at the moment three days short of new.

Gassendi:
This is the so called diamond ring crater, with Gassendi A forming the jewel. A is deep in shadow at the moment and the diamond is jet black. At x200 the central dome of Gassendi is split into 3 distinct parts with deep black shadows criss-crossing the domes. The shadow of the dome is projected onto the floor showing the rounded shape quite beautifully. On the western wall there is extensive terracing that is being exposed by the rising sun. The rimae, cracks running along the crater floor, are most prominent in the southern section and easy to follow.

Schiller:
In the southern highlands Schiller is a very elongated crater, it reminds me of a stretched out pear, the sunlit wall and the shadow meet at a point so that the northern half of the crater is split 50-50 black and white. The small portion of the floor that is visible showed a perfectly smooth surface.

Philolaus:
This crater lies high to the north, in the polar region, and as a result the sun does not penetrate to the floor. It is the walls of the crater that hold the interest. The western wall is brilliant white, but there is one large terrace that is a black slash against the snowy white background. Philolaus C is an older crater to the south, Philolaus overlaps it as a result of being a later impact. With the sun at a low angle the southern wall of C casts a shadow onto the outer southern wall of Philolaus, and gives a curved shape, the overall appearance looks like a weather symbol for a hurricane.

Plato:
The floor of Plato looks flat and featureless, but there are craterlets there, and they are small, around 2km in diameter meaning they are a great challenge to see. Higher magnifications of x200 and x400 did not reveal them, the scene was washed out. I stepped down to x133 and inserting a 13% neutral density filter, I was just able to pick out one in the heart of the crater. It required averted vision to become barely visible. I believe it's an achievement to see such a small feature, the lunar equivilent of a 14th or 15th magnitude galaxy.

My 32mm eyepiece give a magnification of x62.5 and the entire globe of the moon just fits into the field of view. Inserting the filter the glare is toned down and it makes it easier to pick out the crater rays. Each time I look at Copernicus I'm reminded of a child throwing a tantrum while drawing with crayons. All around the crater there is a jumbled mess of scribbles with some rays jetting off on straighter trajectories and there is no pattern to the work. Tycho's rays look more orderly and it's interesting to see them cross the moon's surface, with one ray stretching as far as the Mare Nectaris. One can only imagine the force needed to hurl material such a vast distance and what a sight it must have been to watch the impact.

If anyone is interested in serious lunar observation, then I would recommend Antonin Rukl's Atlas of the Moon. It is incredibly detailed and with it you can't get lost.

A long winded post, but I hope you understand my passion for the moon.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34902 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Lunar observations
Beautiful Book.
I have a well tattered old one.
I'll have to buy the new "improved" edition soon.
My old one is so crammed full of notes I wont be flinging it away.

Highly recommended.

Peter.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34905 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Lunar observations
Very nice report!

Rukl's book is very useful and I recently got the Sky and Telescope folding map of the Moon in Armagh Planetarium. They do a few versions of this laminated chart (mirror-reversed, etc.)

I've mentioned before about an even earlier version of Rukl's "Atlas of the Moon" that few people are aware of. It's called "Moon, Mars, and Venus" and has the exact same charts as the larger book. The beauty of "Moon, Mars, and Venus" is that it is pocket sized and you can pack it along with other stuff pretty easily, rather than getting the bigger atlas bashed about in the field.

A number of used book web sites will let you search for copies. One I regularly check for second-hand stuff on is used.addall.com ... I've picked up about 15 to 20 copies of "Moon, Mars, and Venus" for other people incredibly cheaply via this site over the last couple of years.

John

btw, a real scoop yesterday on eBay was the first volume of Gary Kronk's "Cometography" series for $26. It retails for at least four to five times that used.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34906 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Lunar observations

"Moon, Mars, and Venus"

Ah, yes. Great book. Good charts. Thanks for getting that for me John a couple of years back.

Regards,

More
17 years 6 months ago #34908 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Lunar observations
Forgot to mention.

On Chart 25 of the old edition (Moon, Mars and Venus) Rukl says the crater "Clerke" commemorates a "US historian of Astronomy".

She was an Irishwoman who hailed from Skibbereen of course.

Has this grave error and slight to the Irish nation been corrected in the new edition Lunartic ?

Peter.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34910 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Lunar observations

On Chart 25 of the old edition (Moon, Mars and Venus) Rukl says the crater "Clerke" commemorates a "US historian of Astronomy".

I have a book called the "Biographical Dictionary of Lunar Nomenclature" and there's a number of other Irish people listed as either UK or US (e.g., John Tyndall, who hailed from Carlow, is down as being English.) Deirdre has a loan of the book at the moment so I can't check out all the references off-hand.

I wonder is it just due to the papers/sources of the time that these compilers are checking. As we were part of the Empire then it's only natural for someone compiling a book to think Ireland was equivalent to UK/British Isles (everyone in California this year thought the three of us were German even though they could hear us speaking English to each other!)

All the best,

John

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds