ISS pass flare!

• mjs
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 6 months ago #35095 by mjs
ISS pass flare! was created by mjs
I just saw the pass on the ISS at 17:58 to 18:01 this evening and initally thought that it was an Iridimum satelite I was watching as it's brightness was growing rapidly. But this was brighter than any Iridinun flare I have ever seen. It was bright enough to nearly dazzle and so bright that I would find it difficult to put a magnitude on it.
Note that the sky was still quite bright at this stage and there was high haze cloud.
It was nearly due west at the time and at about 30 degrees. It then returned to its normal (now brighter since the additions of the new solar panels) brightness for the rest of the pass till it disapeared in the SSE.
Did anyone else see it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #35097 by wellbuttie
Replied by wellbuttie on topic Re: ISS pass flare!
Didnt see it Michael, but your observation confirms the accuracy of the ISS flyover predictions from heavensabove.com

Date Mag Starts Max. Altitude Ends

05 Nov 1.7 17:56:56 10 W 17:59:07 20 SSW 18:01:18 10 SSE

Steve Roche
"Technology is a way of organising the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it."
steviestargazer.ivisionireland.com
www.deiseastronomy.com
photo.ivisionireland.com

More
17 years 6 months ago #35162 by Skee
Replied by Skee on topic Re: ISS pass flare!
Michael,
I looked out for the ISS over the bank holiday weekend, but nary a glimpse. Congrats. Do you think that it would yield any sort of an image in a pair of 10x50s ?

• mjs
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 6 months ago #35181 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Re: ISS pass flare!
Hi Skee,

Do you think that it would yield any sort of an image in a pair of 10x50s ?

I have suceeded in following the ISS manually with the Dobsonian telescope at 30X, so I can say that you would definately not see anything other than a bright dot at 10x. At 30x it is little more than a small blob. Having said that I have not tried since its recent "extension"

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds