K-Tec

Fireballs maybe?

• Keenan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 5 months ago #36464 by Keenan
Replied by Keenan on topic Re: Fireballs maybe?
Hi Bart,

OK, thanks. I'll go do a bit more reading then.

If I understand correctly, a fireball is just a very bright meteor and whether it's one or the other is a subjective thing based on how bright it looks?

I am inclined to think that if what I saw really were meteors, and therefore visible right across the country, somone else would have seen them and logged them somewhere.

I'm glad to have seen them but still not sure whether what I saw came from space of from somebody's backyard a few hundred yards away.

Next tme, I'll try and take some notes. :?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep looking.
Keenan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #36470 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Fireballs maybe?

If I understand correctly, a fireball is just a very bright meteor and whether it's one or the other is a subjective thing based on how bright it looks?

Exactly.

I am inclined to think that if what I saw really were meteors, and therefore visible right across the country, somone else would have seen them and logged them somewhere.

If they were not spectacular fireballs and not during one of the big annual showers people would be likely to be observing it's not likely that anyone in Ireland would have logged them.
[/quote]

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 5 months ago #36471 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Fireballs maybe?
Keenan,

At 21:32 several hundred people attending an Astronomy Ireland event in the Pheonix Park Dublin witnessed a fireball around magnitude -5 (Brighter than anything else in the sky except the moon at the time). The same fireball was caught on camera by Apostolis Christou using an all sky meteor detection camera up at Armagh observatory. It is very likely that this fireball was visible from large parts of the country and as such would have been seen from Kilkenny too.

This is almost certainly one of the events you witnessed.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 5 months ago #36481 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Fireballs maybe?

a fireball is a really big meteor.

Brings back memories of a certain thread from last year!
:)

• Keenan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 5 months ago #36483 by Keenan
Replied by Keenan on topic Re: Fireballs maybe?

At 21:32 several hundred people attending an Astronomy Ireland event in the Pheonix Park Dublin witnessed a fireball around magnitude -5 (Brighter than anything else in the sky except the moon at the time).

Thanks Dave - that's good to know. I know I was out later that night but it's entirely possible I was out then too. I'll know to make some notes next time!

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds