The moon in binos

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 3 months ago #40337 by lunartic_old
The moon in binos was created by lunartic_old
Last night, with the moon being full, I decided to observe with my 10x50 binoculars, with the specific aim of wondering what is the smallest feature on the lunar surface that I could see.

Over in the Mare Fecuniditatis lies Messier and Messier A, Messier is the smaller of the pair at 9x11km. Bessel, in the Mare Serenitatis, has a diameter of 16km. Mare Nectaris contains Rosse at 12km.

Searching the surface, and using Rukl's Atlas of the Moon as a guide I came across Kundt at 11km, this crater is one of the bright 'spots', and therefore easier to pick out from the darker background of the Mare Nubium.

I came across the smallest feature in the Oceanus Procellarum, using the 12km Euclides as a guide I came upon Wichmann, at 10.6km, it was not easy to see and I used averted vision to tease it out from the ocean floor.

I understand that Messier with a length across one axis at 9km is the smallest, but the 11km length of the other axis means that 10.6km Wichmann is the winner.

I enjoyed hunting down the small craters, despite the eyestrain :roll: . I think that I will bring out the 25x100 binoculars tonight see how much smaller I can go.

I would be interested to know if any other moon watchers have done anything similar.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #40356 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: The moon in binos
im afraid im still learing the lunar geography, generally i just stare in awe. well done on being so constructive!

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

More
17 years 3 months ago #40377 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: The moon in binos
That sounds like a challenge. i suspect features may be easier to pick as they approach the terminator, I will definitely have a lash at this. I suspect some of the isolated peaks like pico would be easier targets when they cast a long shadow.

Excellent post and a great idea. Smallest feature in 10X50's....

Cheers
Trevor

More
17 years 3 months ago #40387 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: The moon in binos
I often do what you do lunartic when there is a Full Moon on a clear night. But I thought I'd add my little 2 cents worth to further say, leave it till almost the last thing you do on your observing session! You will be staring for so long, you'll see nothing but blue-white discs in the back of your eyeballs for a long time afterwards! Rendering your eyes pretty much useful to all but the brighter binocular DSO's etc.

:D

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds