• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 1 month ago #43404 by lunartic_old
Crater string was created by lunartic_old
Hi all

I was just out observing the moon, I was in the vicinity of Ptolemaeus, just to the east is the small crater Muller, between the pair there is a string of 5 impact craters in a straight line, and all about the same size. This string had to have occured when the fragments of a larger object, asteroid, meteor or comet, that was broken up somewhere along it's Solar System voyage, all impacted one after the other. They are in an area of raised ground between the two craters, I can't help but feel that if they were in a more prominent position, say in the middle of the Oceanus Procellarum or the Mare Tranquillitatis they would be a must see on the moon.

Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 instantly came to mind and it must have been quite a sight on impact.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #43490 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Crater string
Hi Paul
I was out tonight observing the moon and working my way through the lunar 100. On the other side of Ptolemaeus lies something similar the "Davy Crater Chain" This was apparently caused by impact from a comet, and looks like a thin white line and runs over a submerged crater and some hills. I could just make out a few of the individual craters when the air steadied. My first time seeing it and one of the highlights of tonights observing.

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds