Comet hunting in Glencullen 4/5 .5.07

• bertthebudgie
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 11 months ago #45611 by bertthebudgie
Comet hunting in Glencullen 4/5 .5.07 was created by bertthebudgie
So John Murphy Michael Murphy and I headded off to track down Comet Lovejoy probobly more in hope then anything else. It was a beautyful clear night with no moon rising until 00.30 so it would be one of our last chances to see it.

Initial results were disapointing as when we plugged the co-ordinates into both the Michael's Celestron c11 and the LX90 there did not seem to be anything there. Bummer!!! :roll:

We had nearly given up when I decided to hook up my scope to the laptop where I had my copy of Cartes de Ciel. I had previously loaded down comet lovejoy to this programe so it showed exactly where it should have been on the screen. Clicked on the comet on the screen with the mouse and then clicked GOTO. Off the scope slewed with a jolt. After the beep took a quick look and there it was right dead centre of the field of view. It appeared as a very defuse glow in the eyepiece but definately visable. No real tail was decernanble so no way as cool as the comets we saw last year. But to have bagged it nonetheless was great :)

John Murphy took a shot through his DSLR so I am hopfully we got someting even if just a smudge. :)

Eqipment
Lx90 8' SCT, UHC Narrowband filter
SPC900 Webcam, Atik 16ic
Astrozap Dew Heater
Meade eyepieces & barlows 9,26 and 32mm
Moonfish 32mm 2"

"Always pass to the man in space"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #45622 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Comet hunting in Glencullen 4/5 .5.07
Good work guys, it's nice to know that you didn't give up after initial disappointment and bagged your target.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds