Venus & Moon May 20th

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 11 months ago #46156 by voyager
Venus & Moon May 20th was created by voyager
Inspired by Michael's success yesterday ( www.irishastronomy.net/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6486 ) to have a go today with my new toy, a Nikon D40. I have a lot to learn :/

Anyhow, here's the first Astro Pic with it:

Pointers VERY welcome!

BTW, I'm not as useless with it during the day :)

www.bartbusschots.ie/gallery/index.php?/category/25

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 11 months ago #46159 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Venus & Moon May 20th
Well Done Bart. Very Picturesque indeed!

Some pointers. Looks a tad out of focus (just a wee bit). You might try the auto focus on the moon, then turn the autofocus switch on the lens to manual and reframe. This ensures the camera doesnt try to refocus next time you press the shutter.

Take a couple of shots with the focus adjusted slightly either side (in case you missed the sweetspot first time.

Well done on a lovely image you must be pleased with that (you should be).

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
16 years 11 months ago #46165 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic New Camera!
Hey Bart

Enjoy your new toy, looks like you are starting to get the hang of that superb camera already. I am impressed not only with the picture of Venus and the Moon, which can be challenging (especially with a new camera), but also the pictures from your gallery, (your picture postcards of Maynooth college are first -rate!), looking forward to seeing more of the same.
BTW
How can one place pictures here on the forum or is there any website on the net where one can place photos (for free preferably) and provide a link from the forum, any advice or help with this would be appreciated!

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 11 months ago #46168 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: New Camera!

Hey Bart

Enjoy your new toy, looks like you are starting to get the hang of that superb camera already. I am impressed not only with the picture of Venus and the Moon, which can be challenging (especially with a new camera), but also the pictures from your gallery, (your picture postcards of Maynooth college are first -rate!), looking forward to seeing more of the same.
BTW
How can one place pictures here on the forum or is there any website on the net where one can place photos (for free preferably) and provide a link from the forum, any advice or help with this would be appreciated!

Clear skies
Mike

Thanks Mike!

I have my own web server so I just stick my stuff there but I think many people use Flickr which is free. Once you have the URL to the image you want to include just insert it inside img tags (i.e. img with [ and ] around it).

Hope that helps,

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 11 months ago #46170 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re: Venus & Moon May 20th
Thanks Bart
I give it a shot this week sometime!

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
16 years 11 months ago #46197 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Venus & Moon May 20th
Good image Bart, a tiny bit out of focus, which is the biggest headache of most astrophotographers. Welcome to the club.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds