Crater Rosse

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #46226 by michaeloconnell
Crater Rosse was created by michaeloconnell
Good chance to see the crater Rosse tonight - named after William Parsons the Earl of Rosse who lived in Birr. It's visible near the terminator. Look for the large feature that resembles a "horseshoe" - that's the walled plain Fracastorius. The bright crater near the "open" side of "horseshoe" is Rosse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #46251 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Crater Rosse

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
16 years 11 months ago #46289 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post

Fractastorius, to Madler along the terminator
May 21st 2007
21:00UT – 22:45 UT
Bray, Co Wicklow

Lunation 5.16 Days
Seeing 1 – 2 Transparency good
200mm Reflector / Williams Optics Bino Viewers 20mm eyepieces
2X Barlow/120 X
300gm Paper/Soft Pastels/Conte Crayons/Blending stick

I have had these bino viewers for a lend for two weeks now and this was the first time I had the chance to use them.

I was looking at the moon from around 7pm local time as I was keen to see what they could do. Oh boy !!! what a view, really extraordinary, even though the seeing was bad it was good. I looked at Vallis Rhetia Wow :-) its long alleyway bent toward me a superb target.

Petavius was also tempting with its central mountain jutting up like sticks in a fire. What can I say, the drama of the terminator called and said Fracastorius was doing a powerful light show with some of its close craters. Fracastorius D, H and Beaumont were presenting like a series of vertebra arching into the darkness.Tiny Rosse just visible on the mare floor just a little North of Fracastorius ( South is Up)

Wonderful effect created by this instrument, toward the end of my session at around 23:00 local time, the seeing became steadier and the floor of Nectaris revealed some subtle variations in greys and lines so I gave it some attention.
I enjoyed the extra dimension these gave me for my sketch; I look forward to some more deep moon exploration with them this month.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society

More
16 years 11 months ago #46380 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Crater Rosse
Thats my favourite area of the moon, lots of features. Here's a pic of the area from last year. Sorry - forgot to mention crater Rosse in this, but its clearly visible North East of 7. Fracastorius with ejecta from Tycho running NE through it.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds