K-Tec

what a great viewing, and it was even cloudy

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 11 months ago #46373 by fguihen
got my chance to try out two things tonight, the fruits of my attempt at collomation with an artifical star, and my new telrad finder.

The telrad is the best invention ever!! no more getting lost in the sky while using my finder scope! I found M51 in about 5 mins!! on a cloudy night with a half moon! first time ever for M51! as i only have a 6" scope it was almost invisible, however i believe with less moisture in the atmosphere and without a moon it would be much more visible. i could see the core of M51 and also the core of the smaller interacting galaxy. i spent about half an hour looking at it and i think that i got as much detail out of it as possible given the conditions. no real dust lanes but im chuffed none the less.

Saw venus for the first time also! I only have my scope since last November so never got a chance to see venus. its like a very very distant half moon at present but the seeing wasnt very good so il give it another go tomorrow.

The creme de la creme was jupiter, first time also I saw that! I was as excited as the first time I found Saturn! its very low and there was thin cloud but i could still make out cloud patterns on the surface during brief clear still periods!! 4 moons were visible also, but i have no idea what they are. i cant wait to see it in a month or two when its higher in the sky!!! Jupiter got a full hour of my time before i got cold!!!

All in all I think it was a fantastic nights viewing!, if anyone can recommend any galaxies currently visible that might be a bit clearer than M51 that i might try my hand at tomorrow i would appriciate it.

just a short note on the collomation. i performed this inside with an artifically created star, and i am thrilled with the results. on all stars i have, IMO 99.999% perrfect concentric circles on outside and inside focus. i thoroughly recommend collomation this way!

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #46398 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: what a great viewing, and it was even cloudy
I'm glad the collimation worked out.
The planets are some of my favourite targets, wait until Mars comes back later on in the year.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 11 months ago #46402 by bertthebudgie
Replied by bertthebudgie on topic Re: what a great viewing, and it was even cloudy
Hi

If your looking for galaxies easily visible then you should try the favourites galaxies m81 and m82 which are visible in Ursa major in the same field of view.

Try m101 and m109 both in ursa major although fainter you never know!

Good luck:)

DB

Eqipment
Lx90 8' SCT, UHC Narrowband filter
SPC900 Webcam, Atik 16ic
Astrozap Dew Heater
Meade eyepieces & barlows 9,26 and 32mm
Moonfish 32mm 2"

"Always pass to the man in space"

More
16 years 11 months ago #46407 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: what a great viewing, and it was even cloudy

if anyone can recommend any galaxies currently visible that might be a bit clearer than M51 that i might try my hand at tomorrow i would appriciate it

As David Brannigan said above, go for any of the Messier galaxies. They are the easiest to find, considering that Charles Messier used a (bad quality) 4 inch refractor at the time!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds