• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 10 months ago #48468 by lunartic_old
Solar seeing with an orthoscopic was created by lunartic_old
Hi all

I was just out observing the sun through my 80mm refractor with mylar filter. I normally use a 9.7mm Plossl yielding a magnification of 49X, this fills the FOV with the solar disk.

Two weeks ago I was in the Astronomy Ireland store in Artane and purchased a Celestron 18mm orthoscopic, a steal at €61, it's even made in Japan. Anyway, I decided to try it out on the sun and I was amazed, though it yielded a magnification of 27X, the contrast was far superior to the Plossl, everything was crisp and sharp, snapping into focus beautifully. There are a nice collection of spots to the south-east of the sun and I was able to pick out more detail with the ortho despite the lower magnification.

I am expecting the arrival of a pair of Baader orthos any day now, 7mm and 9mm and I can't wait to try them out on the sun.

I had a set of Celestron Ultimas some years back and sold them, a big mistake on my part. On the moon and planets I remember they were wonderful, with the new orthos my first love, the moon, will be even better.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds