Favourite time of year

• Jononeill
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 9 months ago #49236 by Jononeill
Favourite time of year was created by Jononeill
hi all just a fun topic was wandering whats your favourite part of the year to observe mine has to be the crisp clear cold nights in winter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #49245 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Favourite time of year

hi all just a fun topic was wandering whats your favourite part of the year to observe mine has to be the crisp clear cold nights in winter

I'd have to agree. I always get excited when Orion makes it's way into evening skies, then I know the cold, crisp, long, and hopefully clear winter nights are on their way.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 9 months ago #49258 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Favourite time of year
This is a difficult question. Winter is good since the nights are very long and the lengthy sessions have lots of potential with above average seeing.

However, for me at least, spring and fall are the best since my seeing is usually at its best.

Summers are great due to the favourable weather but the nights are too brief and the seeing tends to be average (or below average).

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 9 months ago #49261 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Favourite time of year
For observing, Winter of course.
It's a pity we don't get 8 hour daylight days here all year round.
(whats the point in having long evenings if it's rainy and cloudy anyway!)

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 9 months ago #49263 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Favourite time of year
I have to pick 2 favourite times. November/December is the first, as it is mostly reliable weather-wise for observing. Orion, Leo, Gemini, The Milky Way... the options available for many deep sky objects are endless (unless you have a pre-programmed hand controller on your scope with a 40,000 objects database!). Also, the fact that you can head out any time after 6pm for a few hours and still get to bed time enough for an early start the next morning makes it easy, even with the extra layers of clothing.

My second favourite time is August/September. The Perseids are the highlight, but the nights in general around that time are comfortable for just taking the easy chairs out onto the back lawn around 11pm with a cup of tea or cocoa, sit back and chat with my other half while watching meteors and satellites before retiring for the night. Added that it darkens quickly as we head for the Winter months after the Equinox, observing waiting time noticeably decreases.

Simple pleasures.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 9 months ago #49270 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Favourite time of year
Despite the shortness of the nights I still like the summer, there's no having to wear ten layers of clothing and there's always the sunrise to look forward to.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds