K-Tec

The Perseids - rise and fall for the weeks around the 12th

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 9 months ago #49603 by Seanie_Morris
I thought perhaps we can use a thread to compile our day-by-day observations of the Perseids (as the weather allows) over the next 2 weeks or so.

Last night was, well, an amazing night. The first really clear night I have seen for weeks. I got myself a dark sky location after 22:30hrs and just stared upwards. Caught about 6 meteors in a 12 minute period, 3 of them Perseids, the best one being an estimated -2 magnitude orange bollide, short in distance, but leaving a visible fiery wake for approx 2 seconds. It entered from the bottom of Perseus (Al Atik) and went south.

From what I saw in that small 12 minute window (23:04 to 23:16hrs), I'm optimistic about the rise in meteor activity in the coming days.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #49607 by ftodonoghue
I went out last night to take some widefield shots. i was out for about half and hour, did n't spend a lot of time looking up, but saw one definite perseid and caught another suspect in one of the shots. both were heading almost due south.

Cheers
Trevor

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 9 months ago #49609 by paulevans
I saw a really bright (mag -2?) Perseid shoot through Hercules just before midnight. My camera was pointing at Cygnus at the time so didn't catch it.

I also saw an anti-Perseid - this one came through Cassiopeia towards the radiant!

Weekend weather prospects are looking very reasonable!

Clear skies,

Paul.

More
16 years 9 months ago #49610 by artyfarty
Came home around 10pm knackered but seen an almost perfect sky, so grabbed a cup of soup and took my new Dob for a test run, saw two very bright meteors and even managed to view the ISS pass over, great night... suffering now, roll on 5pm and my bed :D

More
16 years 9 months ago #49632 by dave_lillis
I saw 5 Persieds last night from the back garden without looking for them between 10.00 - 01.00, they were all very bright and long, easily mag -1 and brighter.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 9 months ago #49635 by Frank Ryan
Saw one beauty last night also while down in Bunratty waiting for the ISS to pass.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds