• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 8 months ago #50027 by lunartic_old
Veil Nebula was created by lunartic_old
Hey all

Clear skies last night, come on, you remember them?

Anyway, I got out the 80mm, knew I was only going to get a couple of hours at best, damn job :twisted: and set it up on the CG-5. Initially I got a couple of sketches of double stars and then broke out the 2" Baader UHC filter and Hyperion eyepieces, I love these EPs. Holding the filter up to one of the nearby streetlights, there are four surrounding me :cry: I was amazed at the amount of light that was blocked, with the naked eye it was hard to look at the light, through the filter I could see the dirt that had gathered at the bottom of the lens.

I used the CG-5 to slew to the Veil Nebula, popped in the 17mm and there it was, with direct vision and all. It stretched across the FOV and it smiled at me. That was the impression I got, the nebula was a large smile in space, perhaps they should rename it the smile nebula :D . The eastern portion of the nebula was more obvious and AV showed some more detail. I have seen the Veil in a 10" dob with an O-III filter, but with the 80mms larger FOV it's the first time I've seen the entire thing in the same FOV.

I turned to the North America Nebula, this was a more difficult object and required AV to make out. Turning to M57 and M27 the UHC really helped with the seeing and M27 really floated.

Both products from Baader are first class and the O-III is next on my list.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #50079 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: Veil Nebula
Hi Paul

I juts acquired the Baader UHC and O111 filters. Looking forward to getting a chance to really use them. I did manage to get a glimpse of the ring nebula through both filters and the contrast they give is quite noticable (I only have 1.25" filters).
How do you rate the hyperions to use? Are you using a 2" diagonal mirror with them? (I had some concern that the 1.25 part of the eyepiece could hit the mirror as mentioned in the TS website)

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 8 months ago #50086 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Veil Nebula
Hey John

The William Optics diagonal I use is a 2" with the 1.25" adapter, I tried the Hyperions in both and I found I liked the view better through the 1.25", to me it just looked better, more contrast. I have no problem with the EP hitting the diagonal mirror.

I find the Hyperions fantastic, just got the 8mm and can't wait to try it out. The image I get across the FOV is sharp, there is no blurring of the stars, except at the extreme edges, there is a little softness there, but only if you look for it. These EPS are heavy, though the rubber grip is comfortable and they rpovide good eye relief. One small gripe I have is that they are not parfocal, a little grumble and the only thing I can find wrong with them. For the price I highly recommend them.

Can I ask anyone out there who has the Hyperions, when you change from a 1.25" EP to the 2" what focal length does it become? I had heard that it doubles, eg, a 13mm becomes a 26mm, anyone out there know.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds