• michael_murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 8 months ago #50484 by michael_murphy
Vesta on 29th was created by michael_murphy
Hi all,

Myself and Aubrey Glazier spent about an hour looking at Jupiter, Vesta and variable star Chi Cygni through my Nextstar 11.

Vesta was beautifully framed in a 30 arc minute field of view with Jupiter. It was my first asteroid and hopefully the first of many. It will be close to Jupiter for the next day or 2 so if you want to show you friends an asteroid now's the time.

Next up was the transit of Io. We saw the shadow making it's progress across the disk but didn't spot Io until it cleared the disk. The spot was due to make an appearance but some trees got in the way before we could see it :( .

Lastly was the variable star Chi Cygni. A Mira variable and a lovely red colour. This was Aubrey's call so perhaps he will provide more info!

All seen from light polluted Dundrum in south Dublin with two sodium street lights and an assortment of security lights popping on and off, not to mention some sort of searchlight from the south east which I have yet to identify.

All in all a nice evening,

Michael.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
16 years 8 months ago #50485 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: Vesta on 29th
Hi Michael.

Great report nothing but could in Balbriggan all night. Something has to be done about the light polluted skies in this country.Astronomy Ireland were invited to the Lord Mayor of Dublin Councilor Vincent Jackson in the Mansion House. We had a good chat about light pollution. and he admitted it was a very big problem

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

• michael_murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 8 months ago #50487 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Vesta on 29th
Thanks Carl,

Wherever that searchlight is coming from it must be working as there wasn't a single air-raid all evening :D .

Michael.

More
16 years 8 months ago #50493 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
I was down in Ballinteer last weekend with a few friends, and I saw that damned light too, reachedd all the way to the roof of the sky, it was very strong.

What is it?

Keith..

More
16 years 8 months ago #50512 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Vesta on 29th
Really neat report there Mike. It was clear enough where I was, but not really so for observing at times. Still, the Moon was on display, and I was knackered after the wedding, so I didn't bother.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• michael_murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 8 months ago #50521 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Vesta on 29th
Thanks Seanie,

We were lucky with the weather. It was cloudy before and after but it cleared up for the hour :) .

Michael.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds