K-Tec

Observing Sessions

More
16 years 6 months ago #52591 by Johnm
Observing Sessions was created by Johnm
As it can be very difficult for any advance planning of observation sessions due to weather conditions (at least for those of us in the more “temperate” climates) what do you guys do when the clouds suddenly part and you find clear skies ?

Do you work from a plan? Do you have prepared lists of objects ?

Do you record all your sessions ?

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #52596 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Observing Sessions
John --

I generally work from a plan. If the weather looks like it might cooperate, I'll use AstroPlanner to draw up a list of 8 or 10 objects, and write them down on A4 paper. If the weather turns bad, the plan goes in a drawer. On the occasions when the weather wasn't supposed to be good but turns out to be, I've usually got several plans in the drawer recent enough to be used. If not, I watch TV with my wife. :)

In the observatory I write down notes and do some sketching on the A4 paper. Usually I won't even get through the 8 - 10 objects, but sometimes I add on a few when I'm out there (I use either my mount's handbox to find additional targets, or a copy of S&T's Pocket Sky Atlas that I keep out in the observatory). When I get back inside I transfer my notes back into AstroPlanner. My sketches aren't good enough to save yet, but when they are I'll probably scan them in to AstroPlanner as well.

-- Jeff

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds