A blast from the Past ?

• picasso
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 4 months ago #56049 by picasso
A blast from the Past ? was created by picasso
This is one that has intrigued me from when I first saw it c.1972 - 74 when i was a teenager. I was looking north ( I lived in Artane,Dublin at the time ), winter time I think , with just my eyesight when I spotted way out in the heavens what looked like a ball of fire much bigger than any star out there ( I seem to remember it was RED with no trail ) and was rolling across the sky west to east. It would have been travelling about the speed of an aircraft ( which it definitely wasnt !) in a steady line. I dont know what kind of satellites they had back then but this definitely seemed like something NOT man-made
I never saw anything like it since
Anyone shed any light on this ?

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #56050 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: A blast from the Past ?
Might have been something burning up in the atmosphere, rather slow moving? I have seen stuff burn up in the atmosphere at slow speeds, leaving hardly any trails.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 4 months ago #56056 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Re: A blast from the Past ?
Chris

Is it maybe this you are thinking of? I remember seeing it at the time and being half fascinated and half petrified.

www.nature.com/nature/journal/v222/n5195/pdf/222727a0.pdf

• picasso
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 4 months ago #56059 by picasso
Replied by picasso on topic Re: A blast from the Past ?
Stevie
That may have been it alright - I followed the link and looked up some reports and the descriptions seemed to fairly match up - I may have gotten the year wrong. A meteoroid can glow red during its flight but it is supposed to leave a trail which I dont remember !
I dont know - maybe it was somethimg burning up as Seanie suggests
Oh well!!

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds