where to get a chordless hair dryer?

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 4 months ago #56184 by fguihen
where to get a chordless hair dryer? was created by fguihen
I have been searching for the last 2 weeks for a chordless hairdryer to de-dew my scope. i have searched hardware stores, stores for womens beauty goods, car stores( as some screen defrosters are similar to hair dryers). I just cannot find it anywhere. do any of you guys use one and if so, where did you get it from?

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #56186 by jmcc5
Replied by jmcc5 on topic Re: where to get a chordless hair dryer?
Not sure if this is what your looking for. It's a 12V Dew Remover Gun and works off the power pack for the scope.

www.telescope-service.com/OrionUSA/acces...cessories.html#Foehn

Joanna
Cork Astronomy Club

More
16 years 4 months ago #56196 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: where to get a chordless hair dryer?

Not sure if this is what your looking for. It's a 12V Dew Remover Gun and works off the power pack for the scope.

www.telescope-service.com/OrionUSA/acces...cessories.html#Foehn

Now, if you can also get that to run off a set of 9V batteries, you'd be laughin'!

fguihen,
all you really need it a fast air current to blow across your objective if you do not have a (Kendrick-or-similar) heater to wrap around the tube. It won't keep dew/frost away for as long as the heater, but it is cheaper/easier to run. For small aperture scopes, a USB fan (like what you might plug into a laptop, and it has a bend/flex arm) will run from 4.5 volts for a very long period of time.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 4 months ago #56199 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: where to get a chordless hair dryer?
so the air doesnt need to be heated?? cool ( nice pun there!)

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

More
16 years 4 months ago #56202 by bertthebudgie
Replied by bertthebudgie on topic Re: where to get a chordless hair dryer?
Hi

I did look into the hair dryer route as a method of defeating the dreaded dew. The main disadvantage of them as I saw it was;

1) They take an enormous amount of power to run, anything up to fifteen amps. If you are running off a battery in the field you will find that a hairdryer will suck the power down pretty good.

2) They are only a temporary solution and dew will begin to form again almost immediately afterwards.

3) They have been known to crack the corrector plate if too much heat is applied.

Thats why I personally opted for dew strips in the end. Some brands now draw as little as 1.5 amps even at full power and I find they will stop dew forming all night long even at half that power.

Just my humble opinion though :D

DB

Eqipment
Lx90 8' SCT, UHC Narrowband filter
SPC900 Webcam, Atik 16ic
Astrozap Dew Heater
Meade eyepieces & barlows 9,26 and 32mm
Moonfish 32mm 2"

"Always pass to the man in space"

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 4 months ago #56205 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: where to get a chordless hair dryer?
do dew strips just literally fit around the curcumference of the scope on the corrector plate end? i have never saw any so want to know how they are fitted etc.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds