• Vagelis Tsamis
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 4 months ago #58463 by Vagelis Tsamis
Replied by Vagelis Tsamis on topic Re: Asteroid (24)Themis
Dave,
I have read everything that you, Eamonn and other people wrote about asteroids.
Well, first I need a plan. The way I got it is that I should first have to shoot some easy targets like Thusnelda, Eunomia, or pick from this list: www.mao.kiev.ua/eng/calendar/2008/asteroids_8_e.htm

After I master that challenge I should try to image harder targets.
What about spaceguard.rm.iasf.cnr.it/servlet/PriorityListServlet ?
Have you tried it?
As for equipment, I use a 10" and a 16" SCT and CCD ATIK 16HR. Is this CCD good enough or I should need to upgrade to an SBIG?

PS: Last minute question: Should I avoid focal reducers? do they spoil astrometry on the edge of the field?

Greetings!
Vagelis

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #58479 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Asteroid (24)Themis
OK - what do you plan to do with the ateroid images? Are you going to do some serious astrometry or it is animated clips you're looking to get?

If its astrometry, you should follow the process of getting an observatory code from the IAU. Its not as hard as you might think. Of course, I'm assuming you're at a fixed location.

There's a few of us here have been through the process so you have lots of help.

As regards "easy" and "hard" targets - its tricky to define what that is - an asteroid might be bright and you might think its easy to image - but if its rocketting by at a fast speed, it will be tricky...

The SPaceGuard list is useful - but if you look, the urgent objects are all really faint (mag 19 +) - you might get them with the 16" in dark skies with a good imager... I usually just go to the MPC and see what they're looking for.

The key thing about the imager is to figure out its limiting magnitude - though that will be a function of evrything in the optical train. As far as I know, the Atik's are good and should be fine. Don't upgrade just yet...

A focal reducer is OK - just keep the target in the centre of the field of view. Its better not to use them, but not fatal if you do.

Let me know you plans and I can fill in more of the detail for you.

Cheers
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds