Anybody see Quadrantid Meteors

• eansbro
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #58179 by eansbro
Anybody see Quadrantid Meteors was created by eansbro
I had a wonderful display of the Quadrantid meteors here. The skies were exceptually clear at around 3.00 am when I saw some beautiful meteors blueish yellow in colour.

The colours were quite striking with brighter members of the shower streaking at around -1 magnitude. They were rather slow movement coming from the North (radiant), but mainly seen in the South part of the sky.

I had been imaging for at least 8 hours with the telescopes here from about 7.00 pm. When I was packing up I saw the first ones and stayed on to for another half an hour and saw 22 meteors in total

Did any body else see them?

Eamonn A
www.kingslandobservatory.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #58180 by Tonybwf
Replied by Tonybwf on topic re
Yea i was in and out lastnight saw 2 of em between 00.30-01.00, one i saw definately 00.54 i made a note of it had a nice lil firey tale

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

More
16 years 3 months ago #58181 by jmcc5
Replied by jmcc5 on topic Re: Anybody see Quadrantid Meteors
I saw 2 within the space of about 15 seconds of each other. Both were heading in the general direction of Orion. Then it got too cold to stay out. :D

Joanna
Cork Astronomy Club

More
16 years 3 months ago #58196 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Anybody see Quadrantid Meteors
I had a quick peak for a couple minutes last night prior to going to work (c. 22:50hrs), but I didn't spot any meteors. I remember in 1996 a Quadrantid burst around 22:30hrs for about 20 minutes. Called a couple of the TAS members at the time who confirmed it. But like I said, from nothing to about 12 in the space of about 20 to 25 minutes.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 3 months ago #58200 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Anybody see Quadrantid Meteors
God bless your cotton socks for venturing out into the cold last night.

I was too much of a wuss to do it.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 3 months ago #58957 by Hyperion
Replied by Hyperion on topic Quadrantids Jan 2008
Managed a few quick sessions from 0.30am to 4.30. Used Scope technics Binocular mirror mount for comfort purposes only as it was well below freezing. Some 12 meteors seen during this time. What I took for quadrantids seem to be a bluish colour?? Too cold for proper observing.
Thought we had a "minor" faint green auroral display at about 1.45am for a minute or so

CPC 925
ATIK 16IC
C6R- REFRACTOR

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds